• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age 25 weight 185
    Squat 140kg
    Press 55kg
    Bench 85kg
    Row 81kg
    Dead 167kg

These are my current numbers on madcows which I’ve been running for a few months. I’m looking to transition into a bodybuilding routine. Which it be better for me to move to a novice bodybuilding routine like all pros or into an intermediate bodybuilding routine? Obviously I’m currently using sets of 5 so the 8 - 12 rep range might take some time to adapt to.

How tall are you?

Have your lifts stalled on MadCow?

Are those numbers you listed 3x5s, 1RMs, 5RMs?

5 ft 10
    To be frank my squats have made no progress at all since ss. And those numbers are 5rms. Madcows just hasn’t worked for me. My bench and dead’s have seen some decent progress but all in all everything is stalling which is strange because I was making better progress on ss which is a harder program using the same diet, but having gone switched to what is essentially one set of heavy 5 a week I just cannot add weight onto the bar.

Not enough volume...

Very odd that madcow would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Not enough volume...
    Not enough body weight at 5’-10”.

Whatever held you back ad Madcow - your question was for a BB program.

Any program will be ok that has a good exercise selection, volume and frequency (load is pretty simple and almost always spot on in templates). But you can do better than follow a cookie cutter program (which, due to more complex programming have a place for novices and intermediates in strength training): You try to find out a sufficient frequency and volume for each muscle (group) and go from there. If you stall, you have an easy flow chart: Are you tired in the respective muscles at the begin of the session? No? --> more volume/frequency. Yes? Check program first, only if theres no obvious improvement --> check for better recovery --> doesnt work --> reduce volume.

Very broad guidelines. For more detailed ones look for Eric Helms´programs and info by Menno Henselmans (bayesianbodybuilding.com). Evidence-based, practical, recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Not enough body weight at 5’-10”.
    meh, I wouldn't get hung up on "body weight".

You really should be pointing out: Those 5RM lift numbers aren't all the hot to be frank, from a strength standpoint.
    So yeah probably not enough "muscle" there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    meh, I wouldn't get hung up on "body weight".

You really should be pointing out: Those 5RM lift numbers aren't all the hot to be frank, from a strength standpoint.
    So yeah probably not enough "muscle" there right now.
    I get that, but nothing has really answered my question. Is it wise to go from an intermediate strength program to a novice bodybuilding program? That’s all I really need opinions on.

starting strength coach development program
    I did, look above: There is no fixed "novice" or "intermediate" BB program (yeah well, you could give programs names as you want...) and in general, its more effective to say goodbye for equal, fixed frequency or volume for all muscle groups. I also gave you ressources where to look for programming and general advice for evidence-based BB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast