starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate weight loss programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well I work in forging, have two little girls and coach sports. So, sometimes I'm a bit tired. And somwtimes I choose getting laid over lifting. Call me crazy. I'm 36,6ft 195 with abs. I'm stronger than you, based on what I've seen you post.

I should've been more clear. My body never feels good. I meant overall fatigue from life. My day starts at 430, finish reading to the kids around 830. Workout from 9 to about 10. Eat, then sleep. Not everyday can happen, it's just to much stress compounded sometimes. For what's it's worth, I'm happier with the direction I've gone, compared to how I lifted before. I've trained with one of the best deadlifters, Craig Terry, and I can assure you I know how to train. I've seen countless guys get crazy strong on the simplest templates, none of this new shit. Pieces will stick around, but only the fundamentals, the rest will alter to the new best way. I strive to stay strong, for my own sake. I always prioritize fitness, because kids. You're either the dad that can play, or your not. I make no qualms about what I think matters. It goes without saying, some people can fit it all in, I am not that type of person.

I am simply combating complacency. In your case you have a lot going on and can make the decisions that benefit your life the best. I thank you for providing context so that other individuals don't read your previous post and interpret it as "Ah Hell I have the sniffles a bit so I guess I can't train". Because that is horseshit. You get up at the asscrack of dawn, have kids that you clearly value, and nobody can knock you for having higher priorities. No ill will towards you, but your statement as a standalone is not a great message. With all of the details you provided, yeah. Your daughters should be a higher priority.

I couldn't care less about your age, body composition, or your opinion that you are stronger than me.

I was reading on Lyle's site, that you can cut frequency up to 2/3rds on a cut, and still preserve muscle, if the intensity remains the same.

How the hell you would program that, I have no clue.. I am back to running NLP on a slight defecit after falling off the wagon for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I was reading on Lyle's site, that you can cut frequency up to 2/3rds on a cut, and still preserve muscle, if the intensity remains the same.

How the hell you would program that, I have no clue.. I am back to running NLP on a slight defecit after falling off the wagon for awhile.
    1 set of 5 as the working set and 3 sets of 5 for volume would be an okay starting point.

Possibly triples...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    1 set of 5 as the working set and 3 sets of 5 for volume would be an okay starting point.

Possibly triples...
    My lifts are still trending up on the nlp....no need to complicate matters at this point

Reducing frequency by 2/3rds would translate to only lifting twice per week. This is similar to an elderly individual doing Starting Strength but on a two days per week schedule.

I did this 7-8 years ago soon after I first started SS when I was gaining weight very quickly and had one bloated morning when I rethunk it all and stopped eating everything but protein for a while. It actually worked pretty well for a while!

So on that aborted LP I went from about 185 to 205 bw and my squat 3x5 up to 280 (I think, old log kind of crap) over about two months.

On diet I went back to around 185 bw while my squat went to 305 x3s over about a month. Kept 3 workouts a week. Dropped Squats to 2x3 twice a week with DL 1x3 on the middle day. One press a workout for 2x3 or 3x3.

I found it tough to go back to regular volume after, and indeed burned myself out on the heavy triples too. Due to some work travel I fell off for a few weeks and when I got back just started a new LP ramping up rapidly. Was stupid to keep increasing weight on bar but I was a novice and still wrapped up in that, also got caught up a bit in how effective psmf was, probably because I'd never had a good handle on my weight as a kid. But yeah triples or even doubles at pre-diet maxes the way to go I'd say, dropping as needed and probably wth a nice backoff set for a bit of volume

I would continue The Bridge while slowly cutting at .5-1lbs for weeks. Set 8-12 weeks for this cut, then maintain for 4-8 weeks while running similar programming and reassess body composition at the end. Reducing volume is more likely to result in lost mucle and strength while cutting so I really don't recommend doing anything like 5/3/1 or a lot of the commonly used templates here outside of The Bridge/Barbell Medicine/Andy Baker's barbell club stuff.

It's likely that by the time you get to the heavy singles in The Bridge you'll notice strength improvement. I went from 193 to 188 unintentionally during The Bridge at 6'6" (which is way too light to be losing weight) and still managed to get slightly stronger by the end. At your bodyweight/composition you should be fine.

starting strength coach development program
    I am doing a slow cut myself and I think that the pace of the cut is the biggest factor. Of course you lose muscle when you cut and gain fat when you bulk, but I think the pace skews the ratio a bunch. Slower seems like it would be better in either case. The novice phase being the obvious exception because that is like being on steroids compared to the rest of training life.

As far as programming goes, I don't think that there is a need to have special programming for a cut. I think what does happen though is that you can get away with really subpar programming on a bulk because of the gainZzz you get simply from the food itself. The real problem being the subpar programming rather than the need for different programming due to a cut.

I also suspect that a lot of folks use cutting as an excuse to doing easier training, but that's none of my business.

I only have the free Bridge 1.0, although even typing this out makes me think that I should buy the 2.0 just to support Jordan for all the free info he provides here and elsewhere, as well as Andy's 'Garage Gym Warrior', which is a H-L-M template. I think either one, if not to the letter, the general template, is great for anything, including a cut. What I am doing is based off them, although I decided to take a couple of weeks to get used to doing full body sessions again after a while of doing splits.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast