starting strength gym

Thread: Doing SS after years of training

Default Doing SS after years of training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy

Im 20 years old weighing 160lbs 5'5". On my first meet in september i did 405 squat, 250 bench and 415 conv deadlift.
    I feel like i became too "addicted" to accessorie and fluff and pump work from a hypertrophy point of view. Therefore i was thinking about starting SS. Ive been training since i was 14 but only really focussing on compounds with progression for the past 2 years or so. I never got to do a real novice program so i would like to start one now, without almost any accessories like SS is meant to be done, so that i can start from there and see if i actually need the accessories or not. Do you think thats still appropriate with my numbers? I doubt i would be able to make much progress on a novice phase, but i would like to do it still to get that thought out of my head that i need to do so much accessories and that simply sq bp dl ohp chins and rows are not enough for hypertophie. Also, if i would do SS that would mean a huge drop in volume for me. Is that bad, even if i would still make gains on SS?

Do a short run of LP and push your body weight up to 180-185 in the process with quality high calorie food. Aim for a good hard run of maybe 12 weeks. You may need to take a light squat day on Weds sooner rather than later, but at 20 you might surprise yourself with how far you can get.