starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omit the deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Giri--I wasn't busy today so I scoured the internet and finally found just the program: Custom Program Design – Andy Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    No, Sir. Rather was asking you to name a good one if you happen to know already
    I know a lot of guys that train with a Westside style program rarely pull max effort deads. They will use variations of deads heavy, and then pull deadlift singles for speed once per week. Works well in some instances, not others.

Some oly circles will use programming that is heavy on cleans and snatches and their variants with no deadlifts.

I'd say the reasoning behind the Westside guys not pulling heavy deads is much more sound than the oly guys not pulling heavy deads.

My client Bradley who throws Shot at OU now trains on a program without deadlifts. Of course he was stronger going into his senior year of high school training with me, than he was going into his sophomore year of college training on an "elite" program at OU.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I know a lot of guys that train with a Westside style program rarely pull max effort deads. They will use variations of deads heavy, and then pull deadlift singles for speed once per week. Works well in some instances, not others.

Some oly circles will use programming that is heavy on cleans and snatches and their variants with no deadlifts.

I'd say the reasoning behind the Westside guys not pulling heavy deads is much more sound than the oly guys not pulling heavy deads.

My client Bradley who throws Shot at OU now trains on a program without deadlifts. Of course he was stronger going into his senior year of high school training with me, than he was going into his sophomore year of college training on an "elite" program at OU.
    I think this is actually pretty normal for college athletics. My father was cleaning 285 without ever doing heavy deadlifts as a D1 linebacker in the 80s. His strength program (given to him by his coach) was mostly accessory lifts with heavy squats, heavy bench, and heavy cleans as the core. It's amazing what you can get away with when your only "clients" are genetic freaks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post

I guess I didn't explain myself too well, Andy. I'm setting up a home gym in my second floor apartment and I was concerned about noise and disturbance deadlifting could cause. I was wondering if loaded pull ups could be the solution or an entirely squat/press based program could be implemented for an intermediate (I had Westside in a corner of my mind, indeed). But I figured a way around in the form of 20" x 20" x 20mm hard rubber tiles made of tyre rubber stacked to a height of 2.5". Coupled with bumper plates, I can deadlift without any issues now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12