starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin press alternates?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    It's a favorite pressing exercise of the strongest man that has ever walked the earth. That's good enough for me.
    Scroll down the right side of his Wiki page to see his accomplishments, it will blow your mind.

Žydr& - Wikipedia
    I'm fully aware of and entirely impressed with Zydrunas Savickas. Why does he like the seated version better than kneeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'm fully aware of and entirely impressed with Zydrunas Savickas. Why does he like the seated version better than kneeling?
    You'll have to ask him, but if you try a few sets I'm sure you will have your answer. You cant cheat on the Z Press.

You'll have to ask him, but if you try a few sets I'm sure you will have your answer. You cant cheat on the Z Press.
    Well he probably won't want to have a chat with me, so I'll discuss it with myself if you don't want to participate and see what I can figure out. Maybe someone else will join in the discussion too. There's definitely some very different trunk and leg stabilization function between the two. The "more weight on the bar" advantage goes to the kneeling variant, and it probably also comes in slightly ahead when it comes to mimicry of the movement being accessoried (accessorized? Is it wearing earrings? I'll stick with accessoried, spell check be damned). Since we don't know the OP's program or level of training advancement, it's kind of a moot issue, but still worth thinking about.

I can tell you that the Z Press is great for trunk (core) strength. I consider the Z Press an assistance exercise.
    This link pretty much describes the benefits. 8 Reasons Why The Z Press Is My Favorite Pressing Variation of all Time - Fit World Blog

I'll be trying both this Sunday... I'll report what I learn for what its worth.

I'm wondering if the butt on floor is so your glutes and hams are stretched... or if it was because he didn't have a bench...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    I'll be trying both this Sunday... I'll report what I learn for what its worth.

I'm wondering if the butt on floor is so your glutes and hams are stretched... or if it was because he didn't have a bench...
    Nope, you purposely sit on the floor. The Z Press is a humbling exercise, let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    I'm too tall to do a traditional standing pin press is any of the power cages at my gym and I'm looking for a press accessory.

Suggests? Seated? LTEs? CGB? Amputate my feet?
    Any modular spotter arms at your gym? For example, Rogue power racks might not be quite tall enough for a tall lifter to press IN. But their modular spotter arms, that attach to their stand alone squat racks or rigs, might could be put into the pins OUTSIDE the power rack.

At least that's how I've seen most people do pin presses, on youtube (like Alan Thrall).

hammer_strength_hd_elite_power_rack.jpg

My gym uses these hammer strength power racks.

They have the 'step-up' attachments and an antler-esque pullup attachment (with a 200 lbs weight limit... so basically useless any of my purposes).

It's a favorite pressing exercise of the strongest man that has ever walked the earth. That's good enough for me.
    Scroll down the right side of his Wiki page to see his accomplishments, it will blow your mind.

Žydr& - Wikipedia
    This is actually a myth, Big Z never practised that lift. At least that's what he told Kalle Beck in an interview if I recall correctly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    This is actually a myth, Big Z never practised that lift. At least that's what he told Kalle Beck in an interview if I recall correctly.
    That's funny, he's posted facebook videos of himself performing the exercise. He prefers using a smith machine for them. (heaven forbid)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast