starting strength gym

Thread: Rear Delts

Default Rear Delts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Best way to bring up lagging rear delts?

Thanks!

Row variations pulled fairly high into the chest with a wide-ish grip. Several different machine based variants I like plus chest-supported t-bars. Barbell rows too, although I like those pulled low into the abs which are going to get a lot more lat. In the absence of any machines, rear delt rows on a pair of rings or blast straps also good.

n=1, SGDL's, done as a "M" in H,L,M for 3 sets of 5 has an unexpected effect of growing my rear delts

I agree, underrated for the upper back. Snatch Grip RDLs and Snatch Grip Block Pulls, especially for volume, and especially with an intentional "squeeze" of the lats at the top, will absolutely blow your lats up.

But we're trying to grow the upper back and the rear delts not the Lats as much...

Is it just me or does it make sense to have some sort of row in over chins in SS for general population... Chins/pull ups are just so far from trainable for like everyone (lol at people even mentioning them weighted)

Maybe it's just cuz i'm tall, 6'3 225, no way i can get any sort of volume from chin ups, let alone pull ups, not even close

starting strength coach development program
    Problem with Barbell Rows is that most novices can't really do those correctly either. Is not an easy movement to master for a beginner. I always recommend to Deadlift as often as possible at first, then A/B rotation with Power Cleans for younger folks. For novices who cannot chin due to BW, I'm a fan of doing some rows on a pair of blast straps / rings / TRX straps as kind of a "modified pull up." You can also do Lat Pulldowns although a lot of people do those wrong too.