starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about programming around and for police physical Jan 14

Default Question about programming around and for police physical Jan 14

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm on the linear beginner progression of Starting Strength. I weight 225, squat 185, press 105, deadlift 285 I just added the power clean but am doing fairly light sets while I debug my form. I haven't been doing bench press since reliable spotters are problematic due to the time of day I lift. I need to be able to pass the physical. Concern #1 my happy ass does not run. Period. This is my biggest concern, secondary are working in some push-ups, and sit-ups without derailing my strength training too much.

It might be useful to know what you have to do to pass.

I'm assuming the 50% level is the pass mark.

You are looking to go a bit slower than an 8'30" mile for a mile and a half.

From my experience of law enforcement, the best thing to do on hearing the words "Police, STOP!" is to scatter, run away very fast, get out of sight and ditch the evidence. There's a reason that training shoes and tracksuits are fashionable. Bear in mind that the pursuer is probably wearing regular shoes or boots, a cotton uniform and carrying a battery powered radio and a bunch of other stuff for doing his job.

If the test is on a treadmill, then it's easier to add speed. If it's on a track, then you are actually going to have to run. You have five weeks. If you can already run a nine minute mile for distance, then you may be able to shave it down, otherwise it's going to be hard.

Push ups and sit ups. Since you don't bench, you might as well do push ups. A set of 24 is pretty trivial. Likewise 33 sit ups.

Why don't you run? Won't scoring in the 90th plus percentile be better for your career? In the Marines you'd get hazed into a living death for being out of shape. Your police department doesn't care?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
    I'm on the linear beginner progression of Starting Strength. I weight 225, squat 185, press 105, deadlift 285 I just added the power clean but am doing fairly light sets while I debug my form. I haven't been doing bench press since reliable spotters are problematic due to the time of day I lift. I need to be able to pass the physical. Concern #1 my happy ass does not run. Period. This is my biggest concern, secondary are working in some push-ups, and sit-ups without derailing my strength training too much.
    I think if you want this job, you'll have to do at least some of what they require. In this case this means running. Sorry, I didn't make the rules. There's a great piece on this site about SSLP and the Army Physical Fitness test that if you haven't checked out yet, you should.

You should probably figure out what your current mile and a half time is.

There are three markers that are important to you. Your mile and a half time, your pushups and your sit-ups. I would practice these things if you want to pass. Yes, you can still run SSLP as you do them.

Get your bench and press up and may not have to practice your pushups at all. You may have to practice your mile time though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
    Concern #1 my happy ass does not run. Period. This is my biggest concern, secondary are working in some push-ups, and sit-ups without derailing my strength training too much.
    You might want to examine this situation in terms of specificity.

If I had to pass a physical based on my performance doing 5x3 squat, bench, press and a set of five deadlifts, I wouldn't choose to try a program of middle distance running, sit ups and push ups. If was actually serious about passing it, that is.

You would be 'derailing' your strength training, which you are not being tested on and have only just started, for a matter of a little more than a month.

It may be true that strength can make someone a better runner, but they have to be a runner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast