starting strength gym

Thread: HLM Programming

Default HLM Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I am running a variation of Texas Method for the next few weeks then plan on switching over to HLM at the start of the new year. Thinking through how to progress lifts after reading Practical Programming (again). Would the heavy lifts progress like this?

5x5
    Miss reps switch to 3x5
    Miss reps switch to 1x5

No, because unless you are overtraining then a reduction in volume like that isn't going to unstick a stuck lift.

Got it. So, if I was running a 5x5, sets across and could no longer add weight would you add back off sets? Or increase volume on the medium and light days?

Depends on the goal of the program. Contest oriented programming, strength training for a sport, general strength/fitness, etc. But in general if you are already trying to do 5x5 on the heavy day I'd probably look to increase the amount of stress you are creating on the light and/or medium day perhaps with an alteration of what we are doing on our heavy day. These questions are hard to answer in the hypothetical because there is no surrounding context for who this lifter is and what the programming has looked like up to this point.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.