starting strength gym

Thread: GGW - Testing squat

Default GGW - Testing squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Andy,

I just finished my first cycle of GGW and so far it's worked great. I trained twice a week, conditioned a bit for rugby and lost almost 4 kg since September. Last thursday I pulled 220 kg (20 kg PR) and benched 125 kg (10 kg PR).

But today was a bit disappointing. Press was OK, but squat very hard: based on the DL, and my previous max at 185 kg last August, I was hoping to squat around 195/200 kg. I managed to grind 187 kg but failed twice at 195 kg. Thing is, the week end wasn't too great for recovery: I played a bit of rugby and had to help friends moving, so low back was fried at the end of saturday, and last night I didn't sleep much...

My question is: is it worth trying again to test my max squat later this week? (as in: will I be recovered enough?). I feel like I can squat more (2 or 3 weeks ago I squatted 181 kg for 4 doubles), but I don't want to hit the wall for nothing.

Or I could just appreciate the 2 kg PR and start another GGW cyle with my new max...

BTW, if it helps: I'm 38, 1m82, 104 kg (so 6', 229 lbs)

Last but not least: thank you for all the info, time, and energy you give out. It's much appreciated.

You don't need to test again. Try and be objective with yourself and then just set up another cycle based off of a 5-10Kg improvement. Don't worry so much about the estimated PR, just look at beating your performances in each week over the duration of the program by a small margin and when you get through the end of the next cycle you'll test better.

OK, off to another cycle then.

By the way, it's a great program, and I didn't expect to progress so much, especially on the bench (ran the press-focused version, only two days a week, so I was benching twice in 3 weeks)... Thanks again.