starting strength gym

Thread: 4 Day Upper / Lower Split

Question 4 Day Upper / Lower Split

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

Ran KSC for Raw Strengthlifting for a few cycles leading up to Fall Classic; really liked the program (stats are M / 40 / 6' 2" / 228# / LBBS and DL in low and mid 400's).

Trying to utilize a 4 day upper / lower split trying to increase volume at some reduced intensity (say for first 6 weeks of year) before swapping back over to past programming to focus on increasing intensity. Would a heavy squat / medium pull and heavy pull / medium squat arrangement be a reasonable set-up? Say...heavy squat single then sets of 5 across on Tuesday (also trying to learn how to utilize RPE a bit) with deficit deadlifts / SLDL as the medium pull exercise selection and then Friday a heavy deadlift single then sets of 5 across followed by a medium squat variation.

If so, then what exercise would you recommend as a more effective squat variation to pair with deadlifts? Currently considering beltless paused / pin squats as these would be following or going along with volume deadlift session (reduced load), but given only 2 squat sessions per week would a comp squat at say 10% off heavy day (more like a true heavy / medium structure) be a better selection?

Go to my blog and read the annual periodization article I wrote a few weeks ago (read part 1). Look at that sample HLM program I put up. It's an example of using several months of highish volume before leading back into a higher intensity phase.

You don't have to use that EXACT program - it's only an example. But take away the broader point. I wouldn't be doing weekly heavy squat and deadlift singles if the goal is to reduce intensity. Perhaps every 3 weeks you hit a top single at about 90% or so, but every week might be a bit much. I like SLDLs and Deficits (SLDLs more so) and also Snatch Grip Deads are underrated. Paused / Pin / Box Squats all good medium day exercises with Pin Squats probably being the hardest of the 3 in my opinion.