starting strength gym

Thread: New Marine on Leave.

Default New Marine on Leave.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I know a new Marine real well and he is on leave for about 3 weeks (leave + RA). He's 21 y/o and has shown interest in doing some Squat and DL (primarily) b/c he figures that would help the most with MCT, and to gain some of the weight back from boot (he was not flabby by any stretch when he shipped for camp). It might actually be hard for him to dial it back a bit for a while. He got back Saturday at 2AM and went for a run at 7AM for example, and then did Chins+Negatives today. He's had a session w/ an SS coach a couple of years ago.

Any broad suggestions for him?

Thanks,
    - Dave

Eat, drink, and fuck. That's what I did between bootcamp and infantry school.

MCT is easy. What's his primary MOS, i.e. where is he headed off to after MCT?

Boy, I'll try but don't know if I can talk him into that, hahah . He's headed to Twentynine Stumps / Comm school after MCT. I heard they might have a good gym there now to try and make up for the rest. And he's looking forward to MCT. So basically tell him most important thing right now is to make sure he recovers / doesn't get injured and try and gain some weight back?

Boot!
    What Andy said. He should be chasing skirts as much as possible while away from Marine bases.

He's 21, been couped up with a bunch of dudes for 3 months in a semi-state of hell and you can't convince him to drink and chase girls for 10 days on leave?

He can run a few times before MCT and he'll be fine. He can lift for a few of his days home and eat and he'll put weight back on. I'm not sure what the rucking requirements are for MCT (it's only 2 weeks as I recall?). I never went through MCT, went through SOI which was 3 months and I still remember the 4 main ruck marches we had to do (5K, 10K, 15K, 20K) because I had to do them all on a sprained ankle and it was fucking miserable. The rucks were harder than the runs and being heavier and stronger will help.

Twenty-Nine Palms actually had a very good gym when I was there (2003 and 2005) for CAX. He'll have ample time to use it. Not much to do there unless you get really desperate and want to go chase some Desert Yeti on the weekends, but I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    He's 21, been couped up with a bunch of dudes for 3 months in a semi-state of hell and you can't convince him to drink and chase girls for 10 days on leave?
    Hahahah, I don't think anyone could talk him out of any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    He can run a few times before MCT and he'll be fine. He can lift for a few of his days home and eat and he'll put weight back on. I'm not sure what the rucking requirements are for MCT (it's only 2 weeks as I recall?). I never went through MCT, went through SOI which was 3 months and I still remember the 4 main ruck marches we had to do (5K, 10K, 15K, 20K) because I had to do them all on a sprained ankle and it was fucking miserable. The rucks were harder than the runs and being heavier and stronger will help.

Twenty-Nine Palms actually had a very good gym when I was there (2003 and 2005) for CAX. He'll have ample time to use it. Not much to do there unless you get really desperate and want to go chase some Desert Yeti on the weekends, but I don't recommend it.
    MCT is 29 days (now?), and from my understanding they do all but the 20K march. I'll pass this on, thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    My son chased skirts in LA during his stay at Twenty Nine Palms.