starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bridge with Press focus

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I had a pec tear a few years ago from a sport (not lifting). I recently realized that this predisposes me to having a pec tear during bench press. So I have decided to minimize that chance by doing more press instead of benching.
    Not sure this really makes sense. I assume you can bench just fine since you're already benching once a week. How would incline benching, with a lighter load than your regular bench, predispose you more to a pec tear?

If you simply don't want to incline bench, you certainly don't have to. I'm just making sure you're doing it (or not) for the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Not sure this really makes sense. I assume you can bench just fine since you're already benching once a week. How would incline benching, with a lighter load than your regular bench, predispose you more to a pec tear?

If you simply don't want to incline bench, you certainly don't have to. I'm just making sure you're doing it (or not) for the right reasons.
    Having a pec tear once means you are more predisposed to having another one compared to the average person. Anything that uses the pecs can potentially add to the risk. Incline Press uses the pec's. Even though it uses less weight than a regular bench press, it fatigues the chest which adds to the risk when I bench press.

I dont know. There is not alot of science to show any concrete assesments of risk. I asked Austin Baraki about this and he basically acknowledged that the more benching I do, the more risk there is, but he couldn't actually give any numbers or stats on it since none exist.

I love benching and it is by far my strongest lift. But since I do not compete, I'm not sure it's worth the risk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Having a pec tear once means you are more predisposed to having another one compared to the average person. Anything that uses the pecs can potentially add to the risk. Incline Press uses the pec's. Even though it uses less weight than a regular bench press, it fatigues the chest which adds to the risk when I bench press.

I dont know. There is not alot of science to show any concrete assesments of risk. I asked Austin Baraki about this and he basically acknowledged that the more benching I do, the more risk there is, but he couldn't actually give any numbers or stats on it since none exist.

I love benching and it is by far my strongest lift. But since I do not compete, I'm not sure it's worth the risk for me.
    I don't know the stats or the true risk of recurrent pec tears either. Obviously, benching more often increases the chance of tears, simply from a probability standpoint. It's like saying the more often you drive, the higher the chances of you getting into an accident.

I'm simply pointing out that to me, it seems illogical to bench heavy, but not incline bench with less weight. It's like if someone had a spinal erector tear, still deadlifted heavy every week, but was afraid of adding RDLs. I guess the only thing that would explain this is if accumulated fatigue from higher frequency lifting increases the risk of muscle tears? Is that true? I'd be interested if one of the docs here could weigh in on this.

I don't know the stats or the true risk of recurrent pec tears either. Obviously, benching more often increases the chance of tears, simply from a probability standpoint. It's like saying the more often you drive, the higher the chances of you getting into an accident.
    Is this obvious though? Might there not be a protective effect from benching more often either because it's providing more stimulus for growth and repair, more bloodflow to the area, maintaining skill in the movement, etc? (I would agree that frequent 1RM attempts are probably a bad idea vs. 5 - 8 rep sets but just throwing the thought out there).

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Is this obvious though? Might there not be a protective effect from benching more often either because it's providing more stimulus for growth and repair, more bloodflow to the area, maintaining skill in the movement, etc? (I would agree that frequent 1RM attempts are probably a bad idea vs. 5 - 8 rep sets but just throwing the thought out there).
    Maybe?

I guess the increased statistical chance of a tear would have to be reduced by the same or greater amount from the more frequent benching.

So if the chance of a tear is 0.01% (just a number) during a training week with 1x benching. Then 2x benching would be 0.02% chance if there's a linear increase in risk. However, if there are protective effects from the extra benching, it would have to reduce the chance of a tear by at least 0.01% to be considered more protective, i.e. to drop the weekly tear risk to < 0.01% overall.

starting strength coach development program

I'm simply pointing out that to me, it seems illogical to bench heavy, but not incline bench with less weight. It's like if someone had a spinal erector tear, still deadlifted heavy every week, but was afraid of adding RDLs. I guess the only thing that would explain this is if accumulated fatigue from higher frequency lifting increases the risk of muscle tears? Is that true? I'd be interested if one of the docs here could weigh in on this.
    Accumulated fatigue has alot to do with it. Bodybuidlers don't go super heavy and they are usually the ones that get these pec tears.

Believe me, I WANT to bench. Benching is my strongest lift by far (last time I tested 1rm it was an easy 280lb vs my squat of 340lb). But I do have reoccurring pain in the pec tear area that goes away and comes back in cycles. I always work through it as it's not debilitating. But it's a constant reminder of my pec tear. I do not want to have to go through that again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12