starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSLP Press Stuck, Not Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Might be the lack of coffee but I don't see back-offs being mentioned. You mentioned that she fails at 70 pounds, but I would be curious to know just 'how' she fails. 5,5,4 or 5,5,0 are quite different things.
    Eh, I wouldn't do back-offs personally. I think people are too focused on squeezing every last drop of LP out while they are no longer true novices. If 3x5/5x3 1-2x a week pressing is no longer stressful enough to drive adaptation, she is no longer a press novice. You might be able to use a few tricks to hit a few more PRs, like back-offs, extra rest days from the grindy sets, etc, but why? She has already stalled multiple times, even after switching to triples and microloading 1lb at a time. A lot of people do stuff like this for far too long, and run themselves into the ground at the end of LP.

Switch to an appropriate (higher stress) intermediate routine for the press, which is what her body truly needs to continue getting stronger at this point, and go from there. I don't see the downside.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't do back-offs personally. I think people are too focused on squeezing every last drop of LP out while they are no longer true novices. If 3x5/5x3 1-2x a week pressing is no longer stressful enough to drive adaptation, she is no longer a press novice. You might be able to use a few tricks to hit a few more PRs, like back-offs, extra rest days from the grindy sets, etc, but why? She has already stalled multiple times, even after switching to triples and microloading 1lb at a time. A lot of people do stuff like this for far too long, and run themselves into the ground at the end of LP.

Switch to an appropriate (higher stress) intermediate routine for the press, which is what her body truly needs to continue getting stronger at this point, and go from there. I don't see the downside.
    Good stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123