starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does intermediate programming actually work?

Default How does intermediate programming actually work?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I am a novice, but I was just curious about intermediate programming. I知 confused because things like Texas method and HLM, seem like it is the same or less volume than SS and you progress weekly. But programs like the bridge seem like they sky rocket the volume. I am not sure how you would make progress weekly if there is a ton of volume every training day. Are you supposed to keep lifting for several weeks with let痴 just say 5x5 @8, even if the 5x5 @8 weight drops significantly over the weeks, and then deload week? Again I知 not an intermediate, but I知 really curious.

The purpose of effective programming is management of the stress/adaptation cycle via:
    1) application of sufficient stress to provoke adaptation
    2) recovery from applied stress
    3) application of subsequent incremental stress withing the super-compensation cycle

As a beginner the above process occurs with one training session in a 48-72 hour period. As an intermediate the above occurs with >1 training session and in a >72 hour time period.

Please see the following resource for further explanation:
    Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

things like Texas method and HLM, seem like it is the same or less volume than SS
    Volume without the context of intensity and frequency is meaningless for determining training stress and recovery factors and therefore program effectiveness.

withing
    within

Thanks, I値l check out the PP book

When you are an intermediate, you need higher stress than a novice to drive strength adaptations. The higher stress can come from volume, intensity and/or frequency.

HLM is a general organizational scheme, so I can't comment on how these 3 parameters are applied. HLM can be very high volume, and it can also be very low volume. It just depends on how you apply it.

The Texas Method does not contain more volume than the novice LP, as you have observed. However, it contains a higher level of stress packed in one day, i.e. Day 1 with 5x5, aka the Volume Day. The idea is that this high stress day drives progress, and then Day 3, aka the Intensity Day provides a different stress, an intensity stress, to further drive adaptation. Essentially, you accumulate fatigue as you progress on TM, alternating between a high stress volume day, and a high stress intensity day.

One of the criticisms of TM has been precisely that the total weekly volume is not higher than on the novice LP, and as such the progress can sometimes mimic an extended peak phase, instead of a true strength building phase. The other criticism is that the stress doses are too crammed and too high in intensity, and can cause too much fatigue. And yet another, is that TM might work well for squats, but often does not work well for deadlifts and bench.

Keep in mind that programs that call for a lot of volume, do so by appropriately managing intensity, at least if they are designed correctly. For example, the Bridge uses RPE to auto-regulate the intensity.

You often hear people say things like "5x5 squats are brutal!". This is typically coming from folks that are doing higher volume work at an intensity that is too high. There is nothing inherently scary about 5x5. Yes, even for older folks. Think about it this way: do you think 5x5 squats with 135lb, for a 405lb squatter, are hard? Of course not. What about 5x5 with 350? Brutal, if not downright impossible. Same volume, very different intensity. The key thing with higher volume work, is to not let the intensity go too high, which is a common mistake, especially in fresh intermediates that are used to grinding their sets at the end of LP. An old guy can do 5x5 too, if the intensity is managed appropriately.

And, the recommendation to read Practical Programming is a great one. Do so if you really want to understand programming fundamentals.

The general gist of true intermediate programs is that over the course of a week, you have successfully adapted to a stress provided during week A by that same point in week B. This isn't an alternating schedule, I am simply using A and B to denote a chronological relationship. The stress must be greater for an intermediate to continue to force an adaptation. However, there are a number of training variables that can't be considered in isolation. Of interest to programming would be intensity, volume, frequency, and the derived metric of 'total tonnage'. If a trainee is incapable of performing the lifts at a high enough intensity to drive adaptation (given volume and frequency are constant), they are left with increasing the volume or frequency. I am an extremely early intermediate, but I would hazard a guess that this is where we start seeing individual differences. An individual who is capable of performing very high intensity lifts on intensity day is contributing a great deal to their weekly adaptation. An individual who is not capable of doing so due to whatever reason, is left with the option of doing a lot more volume.

The Bridge should not see you decreasing the weight week to week. That would be something more in-line with block type programming where the goal of an accumulation phase is to accumulate fatigue. If your 5x5@8 is decreasing over time it means that you are overtraining or accumulating too much fatigue. This means that your intensity is too high.

Thanks guys I really appreciate this information. I値l know what to do when I become an intermediate.

Why do some people say TM isn稚 great for bench and deadlifts?

starting strength coach development program
    According to your training logs, you got strong as shit on a TM template. Would you consider yourself a gifted athlete?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast