starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about nutrition and calves

Default Question about nutrition and calves

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I have started novice SSLP last week.(41 yrs, 63kg, 12-18%bf(just guessing, don't know, don't care, just for information), squat:36kg, DL:46kg, press:24kg, bench:30kg)
    (May be not relevant: PRs in the past, ~6-7 yrs back with very bad form ( did not know what/why): squat:100kg, DL:150kg, press:50kg, bench:80kg )
    current pains: Left knee (3-4 on 10), left ankle(1-2 on 10), right shoulder (3-4 on 10): these all flare on playing Table-Tennis

1.Is there a place here i can log my lifts (I looked @ "Training Log" ) ?

My current diet : 10 fried-eggs (in butter), 300-400g fried chicken, 2-4 breads, 6-10 paratha (Indian flat-bread with oil)/2 cups of rice, 5-10 g bcaa, 5g creatine, 2g beta-alanine.
    I was 80kg a year back cut back on carbs and am now 63kg (big mistake).
    2.I am aiming for 4k calories: is that too low, should i try for 5K?
    3.To increase my calories should i just increase carbs or both carbs and fats?
    i know protein should be more than 1g / pound body weight (most probably i have that covered).

I was playing table tennis (have stopped it till my SSLP completes) and will resume it after my SSLP.
    This sport requires a lot of sideways movement which requires having balance on balls of feet:
    4.does that require stronger calves? will i need to do something after my SSLP to get the calves there or Squat and DLs would make those strong enough?

1. There is a whole section dedicated to novice training logs. Go ahead and start one there.
    2. Start there and see how things go. It's easy to add more food as needed.
    3. Check out the nutrition forum for guidance here. You can increase either, it just depends on what your goals are, when you eat, etc.
    4. You're probably fine with the squat, deadlift, press, and powerclean. Your sport practice will take care of the rest.

Thanks Jeff

Question about nutrition and calves

There's a lot of nutrition in a calf, especially if you're not squeamish about eating the organs. Probably best if you have a freezer on hand, as, depending on the age of the calf, it will likely provide more than one meal.

Quote Originally Posted by rranjann View Post
    I was playing table tennis (have stopped it till my SSLP completes) and will resume it after my SSLP.
    This sport requires a lot of sideways movement which requires having balance on balls of feet
    Even the most vigorous table tennis can probably be played concurrently with running the novice program, and you will not need extra calf work.

Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Question about nutrition and calves

There's a lot of nutrition in a calf, especially if you're not squeamish about eating the organs. Probably best if you have a freezer on hand, as, depending on the age of the calf, it will likely provide more than one meal.
    I have heard of some people doing HACAD (half a calf a day) diet for bulking but it always seemed a bit too expensive for my tastes.

Thanks Adam,
    I went through forum about some of the calf discussion, consensus is that i don't need calf work (at least not during SSLP).
    Don't know about concurrently playing TT with SSLP so not taking the risk of getting stuck because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    I have heard of some people doing HACAD (half a calf a day) diet for bulking but it always seemed a bit too expensive for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by rranjann View Post
    Don't know about concurrently playing TT with SSLP so not taking the risk of getting stuck because of it.
    People who work manual labor jobs for 40 or 50 hours a week manage fine all the time. A few hours a week of ping pong won't cause a premature stall.

starting strength coach development program
    With all the recent discussion of the interference effect of concurrent training, and the potential for adapting to the interfering activity, I wonder if a few hours of table tennis might actually cause more interference than a regularly high workload, especially if the table tennis is not at a consistent time. What do you think, Adam? That said, this is clearly more of an academic question. Just train, op, table tennis or no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast