starting strength gym

Thread: Magnusson/Ortmayer to build deadlift?

Default Magnusson/Ortmayer to build deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I'm trying to really do something structured to help build my deadlift before my meet in about 9 weeks.

In the recent past I was mainly doing 6 triples at around 85% followed by a variation; either pause deads, deficits etc at around 70% then accessory work.

I did this for a couple of months adding around 5lbs each week and ended up pulling 254kg for triples before I burnt out and did a deload.

Obviously it was nothing structured, just sort of enjoyed pulling heavy, but I'm trying to do something more concrete now.

I came across Mag/Ort and read lots of reviews and the vast majority seem to hit PRs at the end of the cycle. I started it today and although it's different, I think I might start missing the heavy triples. Mag/Ort is basically 4x4 at 70%, a couple of doubles at 80% - 90% with 10lbs, 20lbs etc added in the later weeks, then some speed work. I'm not used to lifting in the 70% range, I'm worried the low intensity might affect my strength.

Has anyone tried Mag/Ort before, and would anyone have anything else to recommend, or am I overthinking it? I guess my concern is that if this doesn't start feeling like it's working half way through or I start missing reps consistently, I would have wasted valuable time leading up to my meet.

I think youre on to something, because this shows the problems with elite lifters´ideas.

4x4@70 accomplishes very little for the non-doping, intermediate to advanced non-superheavyweight lifter. In the context of Mag et al., it might be enough to conserve muscle mass with heavy doping. It also might be the most volume very large athletes can endure long-time (and keeping in mind that this isnt the preparation, but peaking phase).

Absolute weight increases like "add 10 or 20lbs in the later weeks" again shows how well constructed this is.

Stick to better thought-out programs, for example on former SS coach Izzy´s page (powerliftingtowin.com).

I downloaded a spreadsheet for this program so I could check it out. The percentages are based on a Projected Max.

Lower intensity volume work can work when combined with higher intensity work. The purpose of using lower intensity is that you can get much more volume work done . More than 4x4 @70 , certainly you can get nearly double the amount of reps in a session.
    I don’t think the Intensity is too low. It’s that the volume is way to low for the intensity.

Thanks for all the replies.

Short of finding something concrete, I might dial down the volume work (I love volume) to around 82% and keep the triples, but throw in some heavy doubles and singles which I didn't used to do often. My body seems to enjoy and stay strong by lifting heavy consistently. Once I drop the volume and intensity I tend to lose strength drastically.