starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To do more or to do less?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Elephant, what is your age? Less is more if you are over 50.

As for bar speed stuff... The strongest men to ever walk the earth didn't have this high tech stuff, I don't see the need for it.

[QUOTE=Meshuggah;1645977]The strongest men to ever walk the earth didn't have this high tech stuff, I don't see the need for it.[/QUIT]

How do you think the coaches of the strongest men on earth select 2nd and 3rd attempts real-time (when the 1st lift veers from script?) They're eveluating bar speeds by eye. Every coach does.

I'd like a fuckton of normal dudes to get very good at "self-dosing" stress. That's hard to do (I'm sure you know this...who among us hasn't walked around inflamed from a session with too much stress). If a device helps, great. It's not high tech.

[QUOTE=John Hanley;1645980]
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The strongest men to ever walk the earth didn't have this high tech stuff, I don't see the need for it.[/QUIT]

How do you think the coaches of the strongest men on earth select 2nd and 3rd attempts real-time (when the 1st lift veers from script?) They're eveluating bar speeds by eye. Every coach does.

It’s a tool, making bar speed more objective if you don’t have a coach watching your every move. We all could use more objectivity.

I'd like a fuckton of normal dudes to get very good at "self-dosing" stress. That's hard to do (I'm sure you know this...who among us hasn't walked around inflamed from a session with too much stress). If a device helps, great. It's not high tech.

Well I screwed that quote up. And way objective evaluation is important if we listen

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Well I screwed that quote up.
    It's so botched it's almost beautiful

Elephant, what is your age? Less is more if you are over 50.

As for bar speed stuff... The strongest men to ever walk the earth didn't have this high tech stuff, I don't see the need for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

Call me old school, but I really don't see the need for a device to tell me how heavy the weights feel. I would rather spend that $2200 on steaks and protein powders.

Call me old school, but I really don't see the need for a device to tell me how heavy the weights feel. I would rather spend that $2200 on steaks and protein powders.
    I’m not (nor would I ever) recommend that you get a $2200 device. I said I want one. But I need a ridiculous level of precision and accuracy for software development.

I’m not (nor would I ever) recommend that you get a $2200 device. I said I want one. But I need a ridiculous level of precision and accuracy for software development.
    Ah... should I start calling you Ivan Drago?

Ah... should I start calling you Ivan Drago?
    You sure can, Rocky.

starting strength coach development program
    I have to admit, I don’t understand all the fussing with heart rate variability and questionnaires. I can measure any fatigue with bar speeds.

You could work up to a single rep at RPE 8 (or a specified bar speed). If the load for the single departs from what’s expected based on my recent rate of gains, I’m probably still fatigued from a prior session. I modify stress dose accordingly.

This ^ process becomes pretty intuitive after a few years of training.

I'm still in the novice phase so I can't add anything on the volume & RPE questions. I will say that HRV monitoring is a good way to understand your recovery and readiness to perform. No it won't tell you what you should lift for a session but it a good metric for looking at trends over time of the how you are adapting to the training stress & all the other stress in your life. The phone apps for it make very easy to use and 1 minute measurement with your phone's camera is hard to beat for efficiency. I recommend the app from HRV4training.com (no financial interest just satisfied user). There is a look of good information out there on how to use HRV.

And Isabella von Weissenberg in the video is quite impressive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast