starting strength gym

Thread: Adding Press Work to SSL & Cleans

Default Adding Press Work to SSL & Cleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have read threads that suggest you can add additional Press Work (Press / Bench) to the standard SSL; how is this done appropriately? I'm starting SSL today, but I have been lifting for a while.
    Current Stats:
    Age 36
    Height 5'8"
    Weight 185 lbs
    Body Fat ~20%
    Bench 1RM - 240 lbs
    Squat 1RM - 305 lbs
    Dead 1RM - 385 lbs
    Press 1RM - 145 lbs

I tested my 5RM and they were very close to the calculated 5RM based on 1RM. In order to support a linear progression to hit current 5RM in 6 weeks, my presses (Press / Bench) seem extremely light, which is why I'm asking about supplemental pressing work.

Can you do a Full Clean rather than a Power Clean?

Thanks.

First off, you’re going about determining your starting weights incorrectly. Don’t take a 5 RM and plan to hit it in 6 weeks. The weight feels too light because it is. Do some sets of 5 with the bar, add some weight and do 5 reps, add some more weight and do 5 reps again, repeat until the bar slows just a little on the last rep then do 2 more sets of five with that weight.

No one will stop you from doing full cleans instead of power cleans. The focus of the program is on strength and the front squat out of the full clean can interfere with teaching the LBBS. Since it’s not an Oly lifting program and the power clean can meet the purposes of keeping power production on pace with strength gains it’s favored for the program.

Thanks Ben.

I'm getting fractional weights so that I can make the progression smaller on the Press. My starting point is:
    Squat - 185 lbs (planned 5 lb added each workout)
    Press - 105 lbs (planned 2.5 lbs added each workout)
    Dead - 285 lbs (planned 10 lbs added each workout, since this is alternated with Clean)
    Clean - 125 lbs (planned 5 lbs added each workout)
    Bench - 185 lbs (planned 2.5 lbs added each workout)

After 10 weeks this equates to:
    Squat - 350
    Press - 145
    Dead - 365
    Clean - 160
    Bench - 225

This seems reasonable, assuming I haven't graduated to an intermediate training status, which was the point of doing this training program.

Why are you starting so low? Hit your 5rm in ten weeks?? You are going to waste so much time. The whole point of the SSLP is it is the FASTEST way to get strong.

Based on the above progression, I'll hit my 5RM is 6 weeks (I thought I read that somewhere for lifters that have experience finding their 5RM). At 10 weeks, all of my lifts would be life time PRs, if I am able to main the LP. At 10 weeks the above mentioned weights are 5RM lifts, which will equate to a much higher 1RM. The first workout wasn't hard, but it wasn't too easy either. The squat was easy, but that lift goes up faster than everything else since I squat 3x a week. I felt like I could have done the next workout the next day, but I'm trying to respect the training schedule and at least take 1 day off between training sessions. SSL is obviously designed for lifters with no experience, but I'm still trying to determine whether if fit into the 'novice' category, and whether I can make gains with LP. If I've made a mistake in application of SSL, then feel free to provide constructive criticism. Thanks.

The normal point of the SSLP is to get someone strong as fast as possible. More accurately, it is to not waste time when there are better options. djglynn is already pretty strong. He has the correct idea in taking the time to properly determine if he is an intermediate or not. As someone with lifting experience, he probably can deduce that he can start his LP about 10-15% beneath his 5rm and go from there. There is nothing incorrect with his approach.

starting strength coach development program
    yup. Listen to Dalton and Ben on this.