starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Prescription Question

Default Barbell Prescription Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I am starting the basic hlm cycling routine example 24-16 on page 260. Is it repsxsets or setsxreps? What confused me was week 1 light day written 285 x 5 x 2. Is that 5 sets of 2 reps?
    Thank u in advance

The convention is weight x reps x sets.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

What Stef said.

Where it gets confusing is when there is no weight prescribed just 'number' x 'number'. In this context the order is reversed and the convention is sets x reps. So if you read: "Squat 3x5" this means "If you would please be so kind as to squat with three sets of five reps (nary a rep more nor less) I would most graciously appreciate your efforts." Or something along those lines.

I think it’s written in the book somewhere. I remember reading it just not sure which book.

I use this mnemonic to keep the Weight x Reps x Sets and Sets x Reps straight.

"What Rip Said, Sully Repeated"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    What Stef said.

Where it gets confusing is when there is no weight prescribed just 'number' x 'number'. In this context the order is reversed and the convention is sets x reps. So if you read: "Squat 3x5" this means "If you would please be so kind as to squat with three sets of five reps (nary a rep more nor less) I would most graciously appreciate your efforts." Or something along those lines.
    "Squat 3x5" corresponds to typical speech for that general case: "Squat 3 sets of 5." The other construction would be awkward.
    "135x5x3" corresponds to an actual session, done or planned since sets are based on groups of reps and you can't have a set without reps: 135 x 5 occurs first, with the second set 135 x 5 x 2, and the third, 135 x 5 x 3.

People write these things many different ways, but obviously a convention had to be chosen. You are of course, free to do whatever you like best in your own writings, but if sharing with others, make sure to clarify.