starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training first thing in the morning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ditto here. I get up at 3am every morning, so I can be lifting by 4:30am (I've found that if it doesn't happen in the morning, it probably ain't happening at all). The previous evening's meal becomes critical on Heavy and Medium days, as mentioned, IME. I also sometimes get gassed by the third heavy set; gonna have to try the sweet tart trick (never even thought of that, but makes complete sense). Oh, and a pre-workout drink is sometimes the only thing that get's me clear headed enough to focus (despite the normal two cups of coffee I have when I'm waking up, and "clearing the baffles" the first thing in the morning).

Some will say pre-workout mixes are pixie dust, but after almost dropping a bar on my face during bench from not paying attention, I always use one now. Since I drink my standard two cups of coffee each morning, I've found the extra caffeine in the pre-workout drink is needed to overcome my current caffeine sensitivity/insensitivity.

I feel great hitting the gym about 15 minutes after I slam 1000 cals of shake (make the night before) and toast with nutella. I don't really sweat it if I can't finish my shake and only get in 500 cals some mornings. But 8g carbs? Why?

That's not to say the "faintness" you're feeling is definitely to do with your meager breakfast. I think most folks experience darkening vision, shortness of breath, or partial hearing loss at 300-something squats on the LP. I find I have more of that when sleep and other stress is the issue, not food.

actually I might try this from Jordan advice in another thread:

"I'd do 10g BCAA (or 1 scoop whey) +10g carbs from waxy maize or vitargo +15g of carbs from oats/cereal + 2 instant coffee packs"

I've trained first thing in the morning quite at bit and, from experience, I would highly recommend a decent pre-workout and making sure you get plenty of carbs the day before. I have tried mixing BCAA and HMB with the pre but quite honestly I couldn't tell the difference. Your body will adjust (for me it takes about 3 weeks) and soon you won't notice the difference. That said, now that I have my own home gym I wouldn't dream of 6AM workout again.

I have been working out at 4:30 or 5:00 am for many years. And I’m a morning person, so getting up that early is no big deal. With that said, I worked out this afternoon and was amazed at how much stronger I was. I’ve had the same experience when working out on the weekends. It just seems easier in the afternoon. And the fact that I’m hungover today makes it all the more impressive.

Out of necessity I have started working out in the morning. Up at 445-5 make coffee mix 1 cup oats 1 scoop whey and off to the races. Under the bar within 20 min of waking since I workout at home. Other than taking a little longer to warm up on the first movement of the day I haven't noticed a significant change. Ymmv.

I also lift at 5 AM. Energy seems to be my biggest challenge in the early AM. I'd like to learn more about BCAA and the carbs (waxy maize/vitargo) you mentioned. Can you link to the thread you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by gemini929 View Post
    I also lift at 5 AM. Energy seems to be my biggest challenge in the early AM. I'd like to learn more about BCAA and the carbs (waxy maize/vitargo) you mentioned. Can you link to the thread you are referring to?
    Hi gemini, I don't have a link to the thread but thought I'd jump in here with some info and my own personal experience. BCAAs are a supplement that essentially provide the amino acids your body produces when it digests protein. The science behind this supplement is that it's really only beneficial if you train fasted, hence the reason it gets talked about when discussions come up around training in the early morning.

If you're ingesting some sort of protein before your workout, you almost certainly don't need BCAAs. I personally have trained fasted for a couple years now and take BCAAs before, during, and after, as part of practicing time-restricted feeding (often referred to as "intermittent fasting" which I personally feel is something of a misnomer).

I train in the morning and sip BCAAs until I break my fast between 12 and 1 PM, then eat my last meal between 8 and 9 PM. So I fast for 16 hours, feed for 8.

The downside to BCAAs is that they can be expensive depending on your income level. Whether or not you feel more energetic as a result of taking them is largely up to personal experience. On rare occasions I train in the afternoon after having eaten a meal, it's possible I felt more energetic, maybe the weights felt a little lighter than usual. But it's hard to draw any real conclusions.

TL;DR: BCAAs should really only be used if you train fasted. They're a substitute for taking protein. They're expensive. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSterling View Post
    BCAAs are a supplement that essentially provide the amino acids your body produces when it digests protein. The science behind this supplement is that it's really only beneficial if you train fasted,
    Not true.

starting strength coach development program
    If you sip BCAAs before, during, and after training, how is that training fasted? By definition, that isn't training fasted. I don't get it.

I also don't get BCAAs in general. They appear to come with any decent protein source - about 1/5-1/7 of the protein will be BCAAs. So, if I'm eating plenty of protein, I'm getting plenty of BCAAs and don't need a supplement.

-->Adam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast