starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training first thing in the morning

Default Training first thing in the morning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, I lift basically first thing in the morning. I usually have 2 scoops of whey in water about an hour before, and a pre workout a half hour before. I take around 20 mins to warmup. This has all worked very well thus far. The last 2 workouts, my squat has started really feel heavy as I am now at 300 lbs. for 3x5. Im really getting into those grind it out reps. I am however starting to feel a little faint by the time I re-rack the bar. I'm not sure if this is normal as i start to push my limits, or if i'm not eating a large enough meal beforehand. My shake is about 280 calories, 8 g of carbs or so. Should eat a bigger meal? If so, what do you guys recommend? Or, is this just part of the game of pushing ones limits?

I too lift basically first thing, though typically on an emptyish stomach (coffee, but usually no or minimal food).

There's definitely a part of it that is just heavy, and part of that is pushing limits, but I don't know anyone who would recommend feeling faint under 300 pounds. You may try adding a solid food - a piece of fruit, a protein bar, something - at first. Try it for a week and see how it goes.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I have the same issue, but I've figured out a morning routine that generally works. My breakfast is a 12 oz milk with a scoop and a half of protein and 5g creatine, and a banana, all of which I finish at least 40 min before I start my first warmup set. On the drive over (which is about a half hour) I try to drink at least half of a Gatorade...electrolytes are very helpful for heavy lifting, far better than water I've found. That's usually enough to get me through the heavy squat or deadlift workset, and then through a press or bench press workset. But I can't do heavy squatting and deadlifting back to back in the morning...just don't have the stamina or the time.

I always train better in the late afternoon/evening than in the early morning, but I have a one year old and a decent commute...i.e., I don't get to train late in the day anymore. Life choices I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I have the same issue, but I've figured out a morning routine that generally works. My breakfast is a 12 oz milk with a scoop and a half of protein and 5g creatine, and a banana, all of which I finish at least 40 min before I start my first warmup set. On the drive over (which is about a half hour) I try to drink at least half of a Gatorade...electrolytes are very helpful for heavy lifting, far better than water I've found. That's usually enough to get me through the heavy squat or deadlift workset, and then through a press or bench press workset. But I can't do heavy squatting and deadlifting back to back in the morning...just don't have the stamina or the time.

I always train better in the late afternoon/evening than in the early morning, but I have a one year old and a decent commute...i.e., I don't get to train late in the day anymore. Life choices I guess.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys, with 3 kids, if i don't hit the weights first thing. it just won't happen.

My most consistent clients all train in the morning. It's not optimal, but as we've seen, consistency wins out over "optimal" when "optimal" can't be done consistently. Your body adapts. As far as nutrition goes, I'd recommend a carb source that is absorbed quickly. Fruit is not a great fuel source. I'd recommend something like a scoop of protein and some white rice or instant oatmeal (the sugary kind).

Another secret is to much on little rolls of sweet tarts in between sets. They are like 100% dextrose and get into the system really fast. If you really cannot eat much in the morning prior to training, then you might need to include some carbs in your last meal of the day the night before your workout. This will still be in the system the next morning

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    My most consistent clients all train in the morning. It's not optimal, but as we've seen, consistency wins out over "optimal" when "optimal" can't be done consistently. Your body adapts. As far as nutrition goes, I'd recommend a carb source that is absorbed quickly. Fruit is not a great fuel source. I'd recommend something like a scoop of protein and some white rice or instant oatmeal (the sugary kind).

Another secret is to much on little rolls of sweet tarts in between sets. They are like 100% dextrose and get into the system really fast. If you really cannot eat much in the morning prior to training, then you might need to include some carbs in your last meal of the day the night before your workout. This will still be in the system the next morning

Thanks, I recently added the pre workout to hopefully get me going a little quicker. Now I'm wondering if thats what is causing me to feel a little faint. I usually try to eat a big bowl of Cheerios before bed on the nights before i train. Ill try a higher dextrose carb next pre workout

I'm an early morning workout guy and find that a big serving of rice and beef the night before is what works best for me. If I have more than milk and coffee before the morning workout I bonk about halfway through it.

I eat a breakfast before I lift in the AM. Usually something like this:

Wake ~5 AM
    Coffee immediately
    Heat pan
    Cook breakfast
    Eat breakfast (couple eggs in a burrito w/ spinach/avocado/etc.)
    Use restroom
    Start warmup (~5:45)
    Eat another breakfast (breakfast meats, protein blender mix)

Works for me. I've always liked eating just before lifting though, no matter time of day.

I workout almost exclusively in the morning through necessity unless I'm on days off.
    Afternoon workouts always feel lighter/easier than mornings.
    However, you will adapt. I'm always fasted because I get up at 5-5:30 and be buggered if I'm getting up earlier to eat stuff.
    I found that as things are getting heavier on Andy's GGW program, I am good for the first two movements, then I tank a little by the third on Heavy day, but still can focus and apply myself (I'm 48 yrs).
    My method involves eating a large meal of carbs etc. the night before Heavy and Medium days, even if I'm trying to lose fat.
    You just have to grind through them sometimes as part of the ebb and flow.
    B12? Iodine? Iron? Any other dietary deficiencies?

starting strength coach development program
    I train first thing in the morning. I takes me about twenty minutes/ half an hour from the moment I wake up to hit the platform (I train at home). I usually train on an empty stomach, as there would be no time to eat anything (bar some honey, or stuff like that).
    I second the advice of loading up on food the evening before.

IPB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast