starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd fail on OHP SSLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I agree. But for me, the press is a bitch and to go from 150 to 200, I added SHIT TON of volume and also integrated inclined bench to my programming. 45 reps every2 weeks for me was not doing it.
    Agreed but no need to do so unless needed and other issues are hammered out. I took my press to 200 on LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Agreed but no need to do so unless needed and other issues are hammered out. I took my press to 200 on LP.
    I bought micro plates, I'm dropping to 147.5 for my next session, i want to see if i can get the 3x5 on it. If not i am going to deload, and start micro loading

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    I bought micro plates, I'm dropping to 147.5 for my next session, i want to see if i can get the 3x5 on it. If not i am going to deload, and start micro loading
    Back up just a little and get a running start. Maybe 142.5 this workout, then 145, then 147.5.

I would personally deload ~5-10% and then approach your current a bit more slowly (microload around 140 lbs upwards) and see how much further past 150 you can get. When you start failing again I would then switch to 5 sets of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Back up just a little and get a running start. Maybe 142.5 this workout, then 145, then 147.5.

Will do. Thanks for your advice Adam, you have been a great help, not just on this question but on others I have had since joining the forum. It's appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Establishing Strength View Post
    I would personally deload ~5-10% and then approach your current a bit more slowly (microload around 140 lbs upwards) and see how much further past 150 you can get. When you start failing again I would then switch to 5 sets of 3.
    I'll give it a shot, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    On a side note, I find your fail patter interesting. I usually fail at the first set and hot another rep or 2 on a subsequent set, then fail again on the third. Something like 3,5,4
    Totally how I fail at OHP. Always 354 or 453

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    I took my press to 200 on LP.
    Damn. Getting to a 200 lb OHP on a LP is impressive Royce what was your body weight as you worked your LP? Is it safe to assume you were 225 lbs or so? Please say yes so I can feel better about myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Damn. Getting to a 200 lb OHP on a LP is impressive Royce what was your body weight as you worked your LP? Is it safe to assume you were 225 lbs or so? Please say yes so I can feel better about myself.
    Haha thanks man. Yeah I gained 50 pounds on LP (190-240).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12