starting strength gym

Thread: Choosing the Correct Working Weight

Default Choosing the Correct Working Weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Brent,

I’m M/32/202lbs/6’2. Started SSLP on Jan 1, 2018.

I’m having a hard time determining the correct working-set weight for each of my lifts. I apparently started with too much weight, plateaued, and had to deload.

Page 153 (3rd Ed) under “Learning to Bench Press” describes the process of starting sets of 5 with the empty barbell, adding 20-30 lbs, and stopping when the bar speed starts to slow down and form changes. However, my form feels sort of bad at any weight. Plus, the bar speed feels somewhat slower adding just 20 lbs to the empty bar, unless that’s psychological. E.g. I was pressing 110lbsx5x3, deloaded to 45 lbs, bar started feeling heavy on descent at 65 lbs, but form felt normal until 80 lbs. It’s total guess work.

Can you elaborate in more detail how to determine starting weight? Can it be calculated as a percentage of a 5RM? Thank you.

Also, I’m seeing a SS coach tomorrow for a form check.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Honestly your SSC will be able to determine your starting weight quite easily.

This is something that we do on SSOC all the time. You will need to video your sets in order to coach yourself in this manner. How it "feels" is often at odds with how it looks.

Great, thanks. I'll start watching my set videos for break down in form or bar speed. I'll ask the SSC about it as well.