starting strength gym

Thread: NLP alternatives for powerclean

Default NLP alternatives for powerclean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have started my wife on NLP and the deadlift might start getting heavy to be done every session in a week or two. I understand traditional NLP would alternate deadlift with power cleans. Powercleans (home gym in an apartment) or even chin-up/pull-up (not nearly enough strength) are out of question. What is a good strength based substitute movement for Power clean in this situation?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

We often use barbell row (from the floor each rep) as the substitute for the powerclean in the NLP.

What are your wife's stats?

Congrats on getting your wife on the program BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    We often use barbell row (from the floor each rep) as the substitute for the powerclean in the NLP.

What are your wife's stats?

Congrats on getting your wife on the program BTW!
    Thanks and hopefully my luck holds up.

Body weight 185 lb.
    Squat, bench - 45 x 3 sets x 5 reps (empty bar)
    Press - 45 x 3 sets x 5 reps (empty bar with a limited Rom. I plan to progressively increase the RoM)
    Deadlift - 121 x 1 set x 5 reps

Has been training the deadlift for last 3 weeks and the rest of the lifts from this week. 121 deadlift is the first time that she felt the need to put some effort into. So, she still can deadlift every session for a couple of weeks, I think.
    I am looking for a PC substitute that isn't speed dependent. Mostly due to my lack of coaching experience and also I do not want any niggles to discourage her. So, I am looking for slower strength based pull movements.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Yeah, keep DL every workout. Since SQ is so low the DL will have to be the primary driving force in getting stronger for a while. You can even switch to two sets of 3 on DL before swapping it out for rows.