starting strength gym

Thread: Geezer Squats

Default Geezer Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    While I very much appreciated Andy's contribution to this forum, it's sometimes good to get a fresh perspective. I look forward to yours over the next few months.

Male; 6' 0", 217; 41 inch waist; just turned 66; weaker than weak; a few workouts into NPL. Only other exercise is a 1 hour, 3mph walk I take with my wife every evening (average 5 times per week.) I am painfully aware that this is far from ideal from a strength building perspective, but it's more of a "family unity" exercise than it is an "exercise" exercise. An announcement that I am no longer participating would not be well received. Consequently, it's just something I have to work around.

It has taken me only a few sessions to realize that 3 x 5 squats three times per week are going to burn me out fast. I was thinking of reducing squat frequency to twice a week when I came across an article by another Starting Strength coach who programmed 2 x 5 squats three times a week for one of his geezer clients. Same volume, just spread out over three days. I enjoy going three times per week, so this appeals to me.

My question… Given my situation this is: (1) A brilliant idea? Worthy of a chapter in the next edition of Practical Programming? (2) Not ideal, but better than nothing? (3) A total waste of time and an insult to Starting Strength practitioners everywhere.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

2x5 at 3/wk would likely work for a time. Until 2x5 is no longer enough stress to continue to drive progress. At that point you would need to do 3x5. If that means recovery becomes a concern you might then consider the 2 day fixed LP or an every 72 hours program.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Might I suggest, HIGHLY, that you get your ands on Barbell Prescription, strength training over 40 by Baker. Many of your questions are addresses. I already talked 9 people, including my 66 year old mom to buy the book and I gave my personal copy away to a good friend who I know wouldn't go out and buy it. Buy (or borrow from library) and read the book several times, its truly life changing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    While I very much appreciated Andy's contribution to this forum, it's sometimes good to get a fresh perspective. I look forward to yours over the next few months.

Male; 6' 0", 217; 41 inch waist; just turned 66; weaker than weak; a few workouts into NPL. Only other exercise is a 1 hour, 3mph walk I take with my wife every evening (average 5 times per week.) I am painfully aware that this is far from ideal from a strength building perspective, but it's more of a "family unity" exercise than it is an "exercise" exercise. An announcement that I am no longer participating would not be well received. Consequently, it's just something I have to work around.

It has taken me only a few sessions to realize that 3 x 5 squats three times per week are going to burn me out fast. I was thinking of reducing squat frequency to twice a week when I came across an article by another Starting Strength coach who programmed 2 x 5 squats three times a week for one of his geezer clients. Same volume, just spread out over three days. I enjoy going three times per week, so this appeals to me.

My question… Given my situation this is: (1) A brilliant idea? Worthy of a chapter in the next edition of Practical Programming? (2) Not ideal, but better than nothing? (3) A total waste of time and an insult to Starting Strength practitioners everywhere.

I look forward to your thoughts.
    I wouldn't look at the walks as a negative thing. Your body has adapted to it already (remember: stress-recovery-adaptation). If humans can't walk for an hour at night and still get stronger, then we are in trouble. I'm no SSC, but the walks may actually help you get stronger by providing active recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    2x5 at 3/wk would likely work for a time. Until 2x5 is no longer enough stress to continue to drive progress. At that point you would need to do 3x5. If that means recovery becomes a concern you might then consider the 2 day fixed LP or an every 72 hours program.
    Speaking of enough stress to drive progress, would weekly tonnage (the total of sets * reps * weight, provided weight as at or above approximately RPE 7) for a lift be a good measure of stress, so that weekly tonnage (for a novice or for an intermediate) in each lift should be increasing to drive progress?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Generally speaking, yes; that's the idea.