starting strength gym

Thread: Continue Squat LP or deload to Train Back?

Default Continue Squat LP or deload to Train Back?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, Brent. I’m more of a lurker on the forum, but have made a few posts. I take my form quite seriously and have recently found some flaws that I’d like to fix. Namely, moving my hips and back as a unit rather than independently.

I found that now that the weight is getting heavy again after a deload due to lack of training, when I drive my hips, im getting forward of mid foot which is causing a good deal of strain to my low back. This generally occurs in my last rep or two of sets two and three.

The question is, now that I now what’s going on, do I continue on the LP or deload again to train back to keep up with the hips? If better to deload, how far? I know my cue is chest up... there’s just nothing there deeper into the set.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Brent Carter; 02-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Kinda depends on how bad it is. You would be amazed what can be fixed just by the correct application of your coach SHOUTING at you. I would say post your video up on the staff Q&A. If it is absolutely egregious a reset is likely. If it's just kinda bad focus on it and make it work on a light day or back off sets if necessary. Depends on where you are on your novice LP.

I was 14 weeks in and plateauing just before the holidays. Took 4 weeks off and reset back to 70% of where I was. Now back to about 90% of previous weight.

Not terrible to where the weight is on my toes with heels lifted or anything like that. Since I now recognize the problem, I’ll try smaller jumps in weight and really focusing on it. I believe it’s straight up fatigue causing the issue.