starting strength gym

Thread: How much to increase the deadlift

Default How much to increase the deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Brent

I’m a 6ft, 35 year old man doing Linear Progression. I currently weigh 108kg and am looking to slowly cut to 105kg over the next 3 months while progressing LP (on Robert’s advice in the nutrition forum).

I’ve just got my squat up to 100kg work sets and deadlift up to 120kg worksets, and now plan to introduce the power clean. The example well executed novice LP in practical programming still increasing his deadlift by 10lbs a workout until it reached c160kg where jumps slowed to 5lbs.

My question is should I seek to keep increasing my deadlift by 5kg each workout? Or does the fact I’m very slowly cutting means my recovery is worse and I should make smaller increases? (I’m aware 5kg is very marginally more than 10lbs)

I have access to 0.5kg and 1.25kg plates so can do smaller deadlift increases. It’s just that if i can still make 2.5kg increases in squat each workout but am increasing deadlift by less than 5kg then my squat will catch up and eventually overtake my deadlift.

Very grateful for your advice

John

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Continue to add 5kg until you can no longer add 5kg at which point switch to 2.5kg.

Even if your squat overtakes your deadlift it will likely settle back out as your deadlift continues to make progress and your squat progress tapers down.

Very clear advice. I’ll keep adding 5kg until I can’t.

Thank you