starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift every day?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes sir, I'm a competitive athlete and am very familiar with shoulder issues (have had surgery once already).

Deadlifts are zero problem. DB presses with a neutral grip are almost no problem. Chins hurt a bit but it's not going to tear up my shoulder any more than it already is.

Bench is out of the question, and bar presses hurt pretty bad so I'm sticking with neutral grip DB presses. Internal rotation with a load is no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    You can't bench or press due to serious shoulder injury, but can do deadlifts, chins, and dumbbell presses?

Have you seen by a doctor or surgeon yet?

Yep, that makes sense. If I end up doing something like this I'm certainly going to mix it up with a few different DL variations. I do like SGDL's for sure, and will probably end up doing some RDLs as well, and I'll certainly try combining them. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    I like snatch grip RDLs a lot. It is probably the lighter barbell DL variation I can think of (tempo and long pause options aside). My DL is in the low 500 while my best SGRDL is 315 for 8 clean reps, just so you have an idea. Because of the wide grip it adds an extra emphasis on the upper and mid back, and I always felt it help me immensely with my posture: it gives you immediate feedback if you aren't perfectly locked in for the entirety of the set.

Thanks for the reply, and the ideas. I think I can definitely use some of this when putting together a new program.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I think you can deadlift (variant) every day AND use enough intensity to drive strength.

I am making progress with deadlift but doing a pulling variant every workout I recently substituted front squats for back squats, which allows m to recover from pulling better.

I currently do LP for front squats every workout and inclined/overhead presses per H,L,M. My pulling is:

Day 1: Heavy deads 3 sets of 5 (or 2 sets and a back off), chins or curls

Day 2: Pendaly rows 3 sets of 5, (these could easily be light deficit deadlifts, but I chose rows for now), chins

Day 3: SGDL 3 sets of 5 (these sub as heavy back squat substitute too) dumbbell hammer curls (weights vary, do them on the way out of the gym)

So far, I am progressing nicely, as measured by progress on the heavy deadlift day and doing the front squats allows for better pulling recovery. When I need more recovery, I simply replace a deadlift or SGDL day with a row day and then continue from there.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    You can't bench or press due to serious shoulder injury, but can do deadlifts, chins, and dumbbell presses?

Have you seen by a doctor or surgeon yet?
    Yeah it smells retarded to me too. What was the nature of the shoulder injury - a gun shot, IED or car crash? A rare neurological condition? Have you seen an actual strength coach or posted form videos at least on the forum? Why is it so serious but you still have to wait for 9 months to fix it?

I had a 'shoulder injury' for 9 months and took the opportunity to focus on raising my squat and deadlift simply by doing the program and using the extra mental energy to my advantage. Which was satisfying.
    To keep busy I threw in rack pulls, shrugs, RDL's, rows, pullup variations and assorted beachwork. Incrementally loading everything wherever possible, and if I didn't make progress on those that month then fuck it at least I was staying active.

On a whim I went to see a proper strength training coach and it turned out my bench form had drifted, decayed, deteriorated causing my 'injury'. He fixed it in about 3 minutes and I haven't had pain since. Hence my scepticism, but whatever - I don't know your situation.

If you are DLing any kind of serious weight as per the program (I am confident that you are not) you will rapidly hit a wall after deadlifting everyday and even in the best case scenario your squat will still stall out, at which point you may as well be rubbing sticks together in the gym trying to get stronger.

I am not convinced it has come to this yet but MY OPINION IN SHORT: If you want to continue getting stronger, you are far better off doing the program as written minus presses than trying to get creative and doing some fad program you read on TNation or Muscle & Fitness or whatever you are dabbling with - the very strongest deadlifters moving real weight do not deadlift that often.

starting strength coach development program
    There seems to be a disease going around these days which compels trainees to squat and/or deadlift for very high frequencies. My guess is that the idiots who are pushing these programs are trying to adapt Bulgarian methods to powerlifting/strength training while not being mindful of all the other factors which allowed the Bulgarians to train in this manner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12