starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift every day?

Default Deadlift every day?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok maybe not every day, but I'm toying with the idea of a DL-based program for a few reasons ...

1. I can't bench or press due to a serious shoulder injury that needs surgery (but I can't do for another 6-9 months)
    2. I've been doing TM squats for awhile and am barely grinding them out and need a change one way or another.
    3. I love deadlifting, and it's really helpful in terms of offsetting the damage done by working in front of computers all day.

So I was thinking of trying to come up with a program based around DL'ing multiple times per week, plus chins, dumbbell presses (the only shoulder exercise I've found so far that doesn't cause too much pain), maybe a little squatting, some tricep extensions and HIIT.

So has anyone actually done one of these "deadlift only" or "deadlift every day" type programs? I'd love to hear from you if you've actually tried something like this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dsiomtw View Post
    Ok maybe not every day, but I'm toying with the idea of a DL-based program for a few reasons ...

1. I can't bench or press due to a serious shoulder injury that needs surgery (but I can't do for another 6-9 months)
    2. I've been doing TM squats for awhile and am barely grinding them out and need a change one way or another.
    3. I love deadlifting, and it's really helpful in terms of offsetting the damage done by working in front of computers all day.

So I was thinking of trying to come up with a program based around DL'ing multiple times per week, plus chins, dumbbell presses (the only shoulder exercise I've found so far that doesn't cause too much pain), maybe a little squatting, some tricep extensions and HIIT.

So has anyone actually done one of these "deadlift only" or "deadlift every day" type programs? I'd love to hear from you if you've actually tried something like this. Thanks!
    Just get a job building retaining walls. You can lift 10-30% of your deadlift (considering a decent DL) hundreds of times a day while getting paid. You also learn a skill plus cardio and a sweet farmers tan.

Otherwise, deadlifting heavy enough to actually require recovery is probably a better idea for getting strong (measured by weight on the bar).

But yeah, as long as intensity is low enough you can do anything, every day, forever. At low intensities, you can pretty much grind through any amount of reps your mind allows, not to say that this is particularly effective at achieving anything.

I find that I have to do quite a bit of pulling volume. I think that, ideally, I’d do multiple sets of DLs on Heavy day, but I’m usually just too tired. The cleans and snatches aren’t really heavy enough to contribute much to DLs at this point, so not sure if that even counts. I primarily do them for athletic reasons and secondly because they are fun.

Heavy
    Deadlift 1x5
    1x3 backoff if I have the energy

Light
    Power Snatch 12x1 (about 40%)
    Snatch Grip DLs 2x5 (about 75%)

Medium
    Power Clean 15x1 (about 55%)
    Straight Leg Deadlift 1x5 (about 85%)

Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, if I didn’t need to support my current lifestyle, family and kids, I would be all over a manual labor job.

Keep in mind, with what I’m referring to the DL would be the only heavy, taxing lift. So it could be done multiple times per week. I don’t believe all the people who claim nice gains with such a program are all lying.

Also, for me, there are other very significant benefits from DL’ing a lot, other than purely strength.

Also thinking about possibly using a trap bar, which removes a lot of stress from the low back, making higher DL volume more doable?

... and also uses a bit more quads, to hopefully at least maintain my current squat if I decide not to squat at all for awhile.

I've got a jacked up shoulder that has impacted squatting (though oddly enough bench is fine). With that, I started deadlifting a lot more... twice a week, with other 'lighter' pulls on another day (SGDL and rows). It got me past being stuck at a pathetic weight, though the weight isn't high enough yet to really make recovery that much of an issue. I also found 5x1 wasn't doing it, but that could have been my shitty adherence to the program or something.

Last deadlift day was:

385x6
    405x5
    425x3
    475x ALMOST 2... so just 1
    425x2
    405x3, 2 (I didn't actually mean to do a second set at 405. Brain was fuzzy by then)
    385x8 I cut it off there because I thought form was suffering- video review showed that it wasn't yet.

I've only squatted twice since the beginning of the year. Same thing, working up to a 'heavy' single or double. I haven't added weight to the bar, but haven't lost either.

The deadlift numbers aren't that impressive, but weight has been steadily been added to the bar, and the bar moves a lot quicker now. No recovery issues, but that could change as the numbers go up.

For reference
    Male, 44 years old, 205lb.
    SS for 9 months, old man TM for a while... took a damn year off... now a hodge-podge of a program that is kinda like SS, but working up to, and down from a heavy single for bench, deadlift, and squat (when I actually squat). Don't know why I started doing that, but it feels good, the numbers are going up, and it's easy to adhere to.

Quote Originally Posted by dsiomtw View Post

You can't bench or press due to serious shoulder injury, but can do deadlifts, chins, and dumbbell presses?

Have you seen by a doctor or surgeon yet?

I like snatch grip RDLs a lot. It is probably the lighter barbell DL variation I can think of (tempo and long pause options aside). My DL is in the low 500 while my best SGRDL is 315 for 8 clean reps, just so you have an idea. Because of the wide grip it adds an extra emphasis on the upper and mid back, and I always felt it help me immensely with my posture: it gives you immediate feedback if you aren't perfectly locked in for the entirety of the set.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you can deadlift (variant) every day AND use enough intensity to drive strength.

I am making progress with deadlift but doing a pulling variant every workout I recently substituted front squats for back squats, which allows m to recover from pulling better.

I currently do LP for front squats every workout and inclined/overhead presses per H,L,M. My pulling is:

Day 1: Heavy deads 3 sets of 5 (or 2 sets and a back off), chins or curls

Day 2: Pendaly rows 3 sets of 5, (these could easily be light deficit deadlifts, but I chose rows for now), chins

Day 3: SGDL 3 sets of 5 (these sub as heavy back squat substitute too) dumbbell hammer curls (weights vary, do them on the way out of the gym)

So far, I am progressing nicely, as measured by progress on the heavy deadlift day and doing the front squats allows for better pulling recovery. When I need more recovery, I simply replace a deadlift or SGDL day with a row day and then continue from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast