starting strength gym

Thread: Upper body stronger than lower

Default Upper body stronger than lower

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello! Ive been on SSLP for about 4 months - love the program. Ive always lifted, but never on a strict program other than p90x, and messing around in the gym, "skipping leg day". Always did lots of upper body lifting most of my life.

Current numbers:

43 years old male
    5'9" 194 lbs

Squat - 215 3x5 - progressing, room to go
    Deadlift 265 1x5 - progressing, room to go
    Bench 240 3x5 - STUCK and very frustrated
    Press 150 3x5 - just got stuck
    Chins - 22.5 lbs weighted 3x6

Im not power cleaning - just don't think there is enough benefit to it for me. I dont play sports anymore, just want to be strong.

Question - should I consider an intermediate program for bench and press? I still have plenty of time left in LP on the squat and DL- those lifts are pretty weak. Or should I wait to switch to an intermediate program until all my lifts stall And just deal with my upper body lifts being stuck? I bought some 1.25 plates to micro load and am trying that too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and please let me know if i left out any key info.

Keep the lower body lifts progressing on LP for as long as you can while switching the Press and the Bench to intermediate programming. Also, before switching, you should try using those microplates you just got, maybe you have a few lbs more in your LP that you can get that way.

Thanks Nate. Im gathering that you should try to stay on LP as long as possible. Ill try the microloading for the next month or so and see what happens. I think its going to be quite a while before i get out of LP on squats and deads. Getting to the end of the line on the presses though - really a grind!

Does it make sense to do texas method on bench and press while staying in LP on squats and deads?

Quote Originally Posted by SSrecruit View Post
    Thanks Nate. Im gathering that you should try to stay on LP as long as possible. Ill try the microloading for the next month or so and see what happens. I think its going to be quite a while before i get out of LP on squats and deads. Getting to the end of the line on the presses though - really a grind!

Does it make sense to do texas method on bench and press while staying in LP on squats and deads?
    Yes, even in a properly executed novice progression your linear gains are not going to end on every lift at the same time. It's very common for people to switch to intermediate for the upper body lifts while continuing the novice LP on the squat and deadlift.
    As for what program to do, that depends on you, look into an heavy light medium template(HLM) or the texas method(there is a version of the program gathered towards 40+ people called old man texas method, you might want to try that).

Checking in, 1 month in with LP / TM Hybrid program:

Starting numbers, 2/8/18:

43 years old male
    5'9" 194 lbs

Squat - 215 3x5 - progressing, room to go
    Deadlift 265 1x5 - progressing, room to go
    Bench 240 3x5 - STUCK and very frustrated
    Press 150 3x5 - just got stuck
    Chins - 22.5 lbs weighted 3x6

Current, 3/17/18

Squat - 245 3x5 still on LP, currently 5 lb weekly increases
    Deadlift - 285 1x5, still on LP
    Bench - TM, current 1x5 PR 255, volume day is 230 5X5, microloading 2.5 weekly increases
    Press - TM, current 5 rep PR 165, 145 on 5x5 volume day, 2.5 lb weekly increase
    Chins - altenating BW AMRAP 12, 9, 6 with 22.5 3 x 5. No progress here but form is good, was kipping before

5lbs weekly increases is intermediate programming, not the NLP.

It was already apparent by the fact that it took you 4 months to get to a 225lbs SQ, but whatever.

Get yourself acquainted with the basics of the program first. You should progress 10-15lbs each week.

Thanks Rojo. I had some form problems with the squat when I started; saw a coach and cleaned it up. Before that it was like 3 months of starting over every couple of weeks, then fixed my form and the numbers finally started moving up, in month 4. Never trained the squat really at all before SS.

starting strength coach development program
    Today’s training:

Squat 3x5 - 245 (easier than last workout - will move up to 250 next)
    Bench 5x5 - 230 - not bad, will move up next 5x5
    Chins - 12, 9, 7