starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please evaluate my intermediate program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Your 4-day program looks a lot better to me.

5x5 deadlifts at 80% of 3rm (i.e. 70% of 1rm) would crush me. But you are much younger, maybe it will work. It will be quite time consuming, if you rest 5+ minutes between sets.

I'm doing my deadlift volume as a "density block" these days, which is fairly time-efficient:

With the same weight I use for a conservative 8-rep set (about 75% of 1rm), set a timer for 5 minutes and do as many non-grindy, good-form reps as possible.
    This works out to be little sets of 5, 3, 2, 2, etc. with <60s rests, total about 15 reps.

I'm doing this 2x/week, and on one day also a heavy set of 3, 5, or 8. It's working pretty well for me.

My original plan was about 20 reps in 7 minutes, but this was too much volume for me. I had to reduce it.
    That sounds like fun. Definitely gonna try things like that somewhere down the road.

I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I pull (narrow) sumo due to hip impingement problems. Knees need to point way out like on squats to avoid the impingement and get a straight lower back position. Though my back angle is still much more horizontal than vertical, this variation is a bit easier on the lumbar area. Did 5x5 at 80% of my previous SS 5RM with 3-4 minute rests yesterday and felt fine, but would have to see how that goes once it's 80% of my 5 sets of 1 weight if I am to continue with this template.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    If you are interested in powerbuilding check out Andy Baker’s split.

Another option (alternate V/I):

M - I press, V deadlift, assistance
    W - I squat, V bench, assistance
    F - I deadlift, V press, assistance
    S - I bench, V squat, assistance

Even though you said you prefer full body you should consider an U/L split:

M - I bench, V press, assistance
    W - I squat, V deadlift, assistance
    F - I press, V bench, assistance
    S - I deadlift, V squat, assistance
    Either of these would certainly be a safer and tried+true pick, but like Charlie mentioned, I think I need some fun and novelty right now. This happened with SS too - I started with a slight twist of my own and then eventually moved on to do SS as it's described because it just worked better. This time however, I feel more like I've earned some freedom and in general care a bit less about optimal progress.

My main reason for preferring full body over UL is that based on personal experience what I've heard on social media from some reputable people like Alan Thrall, the upper body needs and is able to take more work than the lower body, and programming all your upper body work into just two days is tough. Yet, working the lower body is more satisfying, so I program both into every day at a 2:1 ratio.

I'll keep the 4-day HL at the back of my mind though. It's what I'll switch to if things don't work out for some reason or it simply becomes more appealing. Will definitely give it a shot later down the line if not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cargotruck View Post
    I'll keep the 4-day HL at the back of my mind though. It's what I'll switch to if things don't work out for some reason or it simply becomes more appealing. Will definitely give it a shot later down the line if not now.
    Late to the party but I'm of a similar mind set to cwd in regards to a 4 day HL split (which I'm now commencing myself this week).

Ran GGW for 3 cycles but feeling I now need more volume especially for pressing and to keep sessions relatively short spread over 4 days.

You don't need to switch between volume and intensity for squat and dead lift as well but rather do light/ medium variants so you're not getting beat up doing the main lifts so frequently though rather incorporating secondary movements to get the necessary volume in.

The tweaked version seems a lot better. 5x5 deadlifts seem pointless to me unless you're getting into advanced programming. Have you been doing 3x5 DL for a couple months already?

I think you have to chose squat or deadlift as the star f your programming and relegate the other to 1 volume session / week or alternating volume week 1 , intensity week 2.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    The tweaked version seems a lot better. 5x5 deadlifts seem pointless to me unless you're getting into advanced programming. Have you been doing 3x5 DL for a couple months already?
    I did 3x5 from 200 to 265 on the NLP when I was still making my own tweaks, but the last 3 months were 1x5. Had to suck it up and switch not because of fatigue, but because the intensity got too high to complete 3 sets across adding weight every time.

I'll definitely switch to 3x5 if 5x5 turns out to be too much, but I want to try to keep it there to get some lower body volume in from a compound lift that isn't more squats. I do the deadlifts double overhand without straps or hook grip to get some forearm work at the same time, and the 5x5 saves me from having to do more pull ups or chin ups for back work. They gave me elbow tendinitis for doing them way too much on the NLP.

I guess a couple sets of RDLs could work for a similar purpose if I do need to switch to 3x5 deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I think you have to chose squat or deadlift as the star f your programming and relegate the other to 1 volume session / week or alternating volume week 1 , intensity week 2.
    This might be the case once the intensity days become maximal and the weights get heavier, but time will tell. It'll be pretty easy to make the modifications then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12