starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping around and confused...

Default Jumping around and confused...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 210

Hey guys, I could really use some help, I am in the middle of a bit of an OCD freak out with all the different programs out there. I was on SS for about 6 weeks, and then jumped to a few programs including one that I tried to custom make because I had a few goals including mainly to get my quads a bit bigger and wanted some hypertrophy work thrown in there.

Also, I switched to high bar squatting because I found it more beneficial to what I felt I needed help on. (mainly I was throwing everything to my back on LB because my quads suck)

Anyways, my main problem right now is that my bench and DL is way ahead of my squat, which is abyssmal, I am simply lacking the quad power to do much. I am trying to figure out if I should just go back to plain old SS with 3 squatting days to get it up? Or is there a better program? Can I maybe throw some hypertrophy work into the mix since I am feeling good about DL and bench?

Anyway, where I stand as of now is:

Squat: 195 x 5
    Bench: 225 x5
    Deadlift: 355 x5

Since I am not sure the DL can take such progressions, I was gonna change the SS to this:

Day 1: Squat, Bench, DL
    Day 2: Squat, Delt work, Quad work
    Day 2: Squat, Bench, DL

Any suggestions?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks so much guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Awenger View Post
    I was throwing everything to my back on LB because my quads suck
    What was extending your knees then?

Anyways, my main problem right now is that my bench and DL is way ahead of my squat, which is abyssmal, I am simply lacking the quad power to do much.
    And even if this is the case, why don't you go back to the linear progression to strengthen them? Strengthen everything else too, but which will stall first, the parts that are already stronger or the parts that are weaker at the outset?

I am trying to figure out if I should just go back to plain old SS with 3 squatting days to get it up? Or is there a better program? Can I maybe throw some hypertrophy work into the mix since I am feeling good about DL and bench?
    The former ("plain old SS" a/k/a the novice linear progression) is advised. The latter (throwing hypertrophy work "into the mix") is not. Have you read the books?

Since I am not sure the DL can take such progressions, I was gonna change the SS to this:

Day 1: Squat, Bench, DL
    Day 2: Squat, Delt work, Quad work
    Day 2: Squat, Bench, DL

Any suggestions?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks so much guys!
    When the deadlift cannot be increased each and every workout, you need to move on the Phase II, where it's alternated. The press is pretty important (crucial, some would say) for ongoing shoulder health, so I don't recommend leaving it out. I recommend actually spending a little more time with the materials because you appear to have several misconceptions. I don't mean that to sound critical, I just think you're not so obsessive or compulsive as to have read the book, perused the articles, or sought out previous discussions on this topic, and that it would be valuable for you to do so.

Wow, thanks for the prompt response.
    I maybe jumped around and saw a fair amount of different information, maybe not all on this site, and got myself worked up as a result of it.
    You are right, it sounds like I got myself derailed a bit and will jump back on.
    Thanks for your help!

If you haven't bought the book, you need to do so. You don't read it just once, but will come back to it, again and again, as you progress. As your experience grows, you digestion of what is written will change each time you read it. It falls in line with the same reason most SSC's are lifter's themselves; you can teach (or learn) as much as when you actually perform the lifts and follow the programs.

The e-book version is pretty inexpensive if money is tight, but I highly recommend a dead tree copy. It is used so much as a reference that having a copy that doesn't use batteries and can be thumbed between pages becomes very important for ease of use (IMHO).

*you can't teach (or learn)....

I have read the book multiple times, that was the reason I asked the question here. To get different opinions on trying something new. I get it. Stick to it. Thanks

Weight: 210
    I had a few goals including mainly to get my quads a bit bigger and wanted some hypertrophy work thrown in there.

I am simply lacking the quad power to do much.
    It sounds like you're more interested in a bodybuilding routine than getting stronger. Either way, your squat form is probably bad and you'll benefit from POSTING A VIDEO OF YOUR SQUAT. Seriously. If you don't have or want a coach, by doing that you can at least get meaningful feedback here that will probably make you both stronger and less likely to hurt yourself if you heed the advice.

Not bodybuilding no, just thought my quads could use size to get stronger, I did in fact post a squat video so as to improve the very things mentioned, would appreciate your feedback!
    Knees coming forward spot check
    Thanks again!

Not bodybuilding no, just thought my quads could use size to get stronger, I did in fact post a squat video so as to improve the very things mentioned, would appreciate your feedback!
    Knees coming forward spot check
    Thanks again!
    My apologies, didn't realize you posted a form check. I've been kind of knee-jerk responding with "post video" to a lot of questions. Form has to come before size. Just watched both videos and I think the replies to it are right - you're trying to stay too upright, which is making your knees come forward. I also notice that your right knee is caving inwards - check out the rear video and you can see exactly what I mean. Have you tried playing with stance width and descent speed? It seems like you're kind of bombing it more than you're comfortable with, staying more vertical then you need to be and scooping forwards a bit with your hips instead of driving straight back up, and then your knees come forward. Something that might be interesting to document is to vary your descent speed and stance width in multiple videos and then watch them to see exactly what you were doing. Don't even worry about quad mass, you're solid and can probably hit close to 400 during LP if you're 210.

P.S. Was the squat weight listed here a typo? You just posted a 275x5 vid.
    Anyway, where I stand as of now is:

Squat: 195 x 5

starting strength coach development program
    Hey CS, thanks for the responses. The 195was for high bar, but after posting this very thread I decided I was going to learn proper low bar form he’ll or high water with your guys help. I do feel more comfortable with low bar anyway and can definitely put up more weight, now that I am squatting 3times per week again I can use form checks to help with it. I think the transition from high back to low is what may be keeping me more upright.

As for width, I did widen my stance a bit more before, and was going a bit narrower on this video.

It seems like you’re bombing it more than you’re comfortable with
    What does this mean?

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast