starting strength gym

Thread: Andy Baker's KSC method questions

Default Andy Baker's KSC method questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Andy! Hope you answer this.

I'm coming up on my 2nd cycle of the program (which I enjoyed immensely - more on that at the bottom) and have a few questions:

1. After my deload week, what PR jumps should I shoot for when testing? I was thinking +5 kg? I probably hadn't completely exhausted my weekly/bi-weekly gains when I started the program, so I'm not sure how big of a jump to try to make. Would you say 3 attempts of +2,5 kg each is a good strategy?

2. Is it a good idea to switch to press template 2nd time around? Or will I lose my bench gains? Is it better to focus on one thing or alternate between the 2 templates? If I had to choose 1, I'd probably stick with bench.

Thanks in advance!

P.s. also wanted to say big THANK YOU for this program. I was burnt out, overtrained and had terrible patellar tendonitis - all because I was trying to grind the stupid LP into the point of complete failure. Now I feel healthy, strong and ready to attack every session. And my knees don't hurt anymore - my squat form is much better now that I don't have to grind in the 90%+ range every session. This program was a blessing, thank you!

Andy actually has a good video on his YouTube channel.about working up to a max attempt.

Regarding the press/bench focus, do you plan on competing? If so, which of the two is contested. If not, either rotate for "balance" or just do whichever you like to do.

yeah, watch the video on maxing out here: YouTube

You can stay with bench focus. Press will still improve if you train it hard

Thanks Andy and Jeff! Will review the video, I watched it some months ago