starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boxing as HIIT for fluffy novice redo

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Sorry. English is not my primary tongue.
    Site has no edit button. Gave up.

Heavy bag is nothing compared to heavy push sled, fan-bike sprints, ect.

Not HIIT, as described by Jordan and others.

It's just "cardio". Fun. Practical. But not HIIT.
    Have you ever hit a heavy bag as hard and fast as you can for 20-30 seconds? Then take a 30 second rest and do it again and again? I think that would change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Yeah, every office should have one!

Unfortunately (or not, depending how you see it), it has been shown that this kind of catharsis doesnt work. If you think of it, it can be even explained why not with our SRA or two-factor-model of strength training: Immediately after the aggression, you might feel relieved, because youre exhausted - but what you essentially did was training aggression for the long run.

On a larger level: So all these pedagogical programs for young offenders practicing all kinds of martial arts (and where according to the coaches they of course only learn discipline and comradery) - not the smartest idea.
    It might teach them how easily they can get the shit beat out of them if they act aggressively though, which is valuable in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    It might teach them how easily they can get the shit beat out of them if they act aggressively though, which is valuable in its own right.
    You mean the very lesson most delinquents have been learning since their childhood, the lesson that they since have adopted and - being humans - have refined subsequently; for example to not become the victim choosing weaker or defenseless victims (and if they cant find any, use (deadlier) weapons), striking (in broader and literal sense) preemptively and unexpectedly and to evade legal lessons, how to obscure the crime and their traces, i.e. all in all: how to become a "successful" criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Have you ever hit a heavy bag as hard and fast as you can for 20-30 seconds? Then take a 30 second rest and do it again and again? I think that would change your mind.
    honestly no.
    But it wouldn't change my mind.
    I bet I would breath heavy, have fun, and get a "good cardio" workout.

But everyone's (anyone's?) arms are their smallest muscles, they are flailing about through the air with virtually no load until they hit the bag.
    Very little work required for the trunk and legs, the much larger muscles. Yes, you should use your whole body to strike the bag, but still.

I doubt all this will take all three energy systems into much of a deficit, as compared to push sled, fan bike, rowing machine, etc.
    These require much more energy due to the load, and larger muscle mass involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    honestly no.
    But it wouldn't change my mind.
    I bet I would breath heavy, have fun, and get a "good cardio" workout.

But everyone's (anyone's?) arms are their smallest muscles, they are flailing about through the air with virtually no load until they hit the bag.
    Very little work required for the trunk and legs, the much larger muscles. Yes, you should use your whole body to strike the bag, but still.

I doubt all this will take all three energy systems into much of a deficit, as compared to push sled, fan bike, rowing machine, etc.
    These require much more energy due to the load, and larger muscle mass involved.
    I wear a heart rate monitor for all my strength training and conditioning workouts and record the details in my training log here. You are free to believe what you wish about this, but I can tell you from repeated experience that 15-20 seconds of hard and rapid flurries on a heavy bag get my heart rate up to around 85% of my maximum heart rate using the Karvonen formula.

I don't know what your training or experience in striking is, but good and effective strikes that I learned incorporate starting with a push from the feet, an extension of the legs, an asymmetric extension of the hips, a turn of the torso into the line of strike, and then an extension of the shoulder, arm, wrist, and hand. I use hands, feet, elbows, and knees during these flurries.

So I submit to you that you are mistaken on this belief of yours. Striking is a whole body activity. Perhaps not as leg oriented as those other instrumentalities you listed, but hardly sparing of the lower body in execution.

Follow up on this.

Speed bag got my HR up 123 bpm @ 80% of MHR in about 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Follow up on this.

Speed bag got my HR up 123 bpm @ 80% of MHR in about 10 seconds.
    Heart rate doesn't tell the whole story.
    I could do three power cleans back to back in 10 seconds with 85% and get my HR equally as high (percentage wise, for my age) and it wouldn't be true HIIT.

You probably perceived the excertion was high, but how much work was done?, and whether you could completely trash your ATP-CP system is doubtful.

starting strength coach development program
    Pray tell us.

What is "True HIIT?"

Can you quote chapter and verse from the HIIT Bible as written by some HIIT Jedi? How did Obi Wan HIIT define it?

You sound much like the True Believers in HIT back in the 90's.

Or the Jesus Freaks back in the 70's.

Both shared a common trope: There's only one way, and that's with (fill in blank with choice).

Maybe you want to discuss Time Under Tension (TUT) and Time Under Load (TUL) too.

Draft us all up a nice equation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12