starting strength gym

Thread: Weight belt with SSL

Default Weight belt with SSL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm working through SSL, when is it appropriate to introduce a weight belt for squats and deads?
    Squats started at 185lbs 3x5, now at 235lbs 3x5 (5 lb increases) - 1RM was 305lbs last I tested it prior to the program
    Deads started at 295lbs 3x5, now at 305lbs 3x5 (10 lb increases) - 1RM was 385lbs last I tested it prior to the program

My previous 1x5 maxes were set with a belt, which is what I used to calculate my starting point.

What is "SSL?"

We don't use 1RM to set novice starting weights.

We don't do deadlifts for sets across.

Yes, wear a belt.

Starting Strength Linear Progression. I have experience lifting, and I am trying the Linear Progression to determine whether I'm still a novice lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by djglynn View Post
    Starting Strength Linear Progression. I have experience lifting, and I am trying the Linear Progression to determine whether I'm still a novice lifter.
    Unless you have some kind of other factors involved (pre-existing back injury, hypermobility), just add the belt when the weights start to get challenging. Use it for the last warm-up set and the work sets.

I think the saying goes.? If you can still add 5lbs. each workout your still a novice.

Wear a belt when you feel you need it. I remember wearing one back at 245 on my squat workouts and now I'm up to 335. The belt just gives your abs something to contract against.

Wear the belt for your last warm up set (to make sure you put it in the proper place and the feel is right before you move to work sets) and then for all your work sets.

Why are you doing 3 sets of 5 for deadlift? YNDTP.

Have to laugh when reading this: "when the weight gets challenging" LOL if you are doing the NLP the weight is always challenging unless you are slacking.

I haven't worked up the courage to use my new lever belt-a beautiful creation from the strength shop-as my lifts are relatively pathetic. A ride motorcycles for fun, and, when we see a guy on a shiny new sports bike with expensive leathers struggling to get around a bend, we all use the phrase "all the gear, no idea". I don't want to be that guy. :-)

[QUOTE=Why are you doing 3 sets of 5 for deadlift? YNDTP.[/QUOTE]

While he might not be doing the program as written I fail to see why a lifter early in the novice progression shouldn't lift 3x5 on the DL especially if its new and they want to practice form with relatively "moderately" heavy weights. As long as a newbie starting bringing the volume down as the program progresses there shouldn't be a problem right??

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Have to laugh when reading this: "when the weight gets challenging" LOL if you are doing the NLP the weight is always challenging unless you are slacking.

I haven't worked up the courage to use my new lever belt-a beautiful creation from the strength shop-as my lifts are relatively pathetic. A ride motorcycles for fun, and, when we see a guy on a shiny new sports bike with expensive leathers struggling to get around a bend, we all use the phrase "all the gear, no idea". I don't want to be that guy. :-)
    "Challenging" is vague enough to be almost a worthless term in debating this kind of thing. There is taxing, there is nosebleed sets, there are eyebleed sets, there are I-Saw-God sets. I remember when I first put 155lb on my back and it felt like I was being crushed by the world. As Adam said, you will know when it's time. If you bought a nice brand new belt I would use it every set, I'd use it for curls just for fun AND to actually break it in for when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    While he might not be doing the program as written I fail to see why a lifter early in the novice progression shouldn't lift 3x5 on the DL especially if its new and they want to practice form with relatively "moderately" heavy weights. As long as a newbie starting bringing the volume down as the program progresses there shouldn't be a problem right??
    I think there was an exception made somewhere in a book for day on 1x5 then day off for an ultra light deadlifter. That was a complete untrained novice instead of once a week / third session if they can handle it. I don't think this case qualifies.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Establishing Strength View Post
    Wear a belt when you feel you need it. I remember wearing one back at 245 on my squat workouts and now I'm up to 335. The belt just gives your abs something to contract against.

Wear the belt for your last warm up set (to make sure you put it in the proper place and the feel is right before you move to work sets) and then for all your work sets.

Why are you doing 3 sets of 5 for deadlift? YNDTP.
    I must have missed the 1x5 deadlift. So far I've been able to do 3x5 without any negative impact on my recovery. I'll go back and review the program again.