starting strength gym

Thread: My review of Candito's 6 week program

Default My review of Candito's 6 week program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So before I begin let me say that I only used this program for the squat and deadlift, I was already running another program for my bench before starting Candito, so I stuck with it as I was seeing a lot of progress.

I dropped my gym PRs by around 5% before starting this program. I did a lot of my own thing for a long time and got quite strong over the years but I wanted something structured, and since I was coincidentally 6 weeks out from my first powerlifting meet when I came across this program, the timing couldn't have been better.

At first I was skeptical about what will happen to my deadlift on this program because it's always been my strongest lift, and with the relatively low deadlift volume over the 5 weeks, I was concerned it would drop by the end of the program right before my meet. Man was I wrong.

Before:
    Squat - 255kg/562lbs 1RM
    Deadlift - 281kg/620lbs 1RM

After:
    Squat - 271kg/599lbs (This is an estimate based off of the formula Candito provides depending on how many reps you hit in week 5. I hit all 4 reps at 97%, so 550lbs*1.09 = 599.5lbs). +16.7kg/37lbs
    Deadlift - 301kg/665lbs. +20.4kg/45lbs

So it's very clear that my deadlift benefited A LOT from this program which left me extremely, extremely happy.

I'll run through the weeks briefly and give some general thoughts on the program and minor tweaks I made.

First off, I didn't do any assistance work, i.e. the optional exercises. Most days I would just squat and deadlift then leave. My conditioning has always been garbage, so hitting sets of 6-8 reps, or MR10s was a challenge, but I hit all reps every week. I still came in for all upper body days, I just did the other bench program I was on (plus the assistance work on Candito) since it calls for benching twice a week and during the 3rd upper day in the first 2 weeks of Candito's program I still came in and did the assistance work and some strict presses.

In week 2, I hit 9 reps on the MR10s in both workouts but struggled a lot getting in the back off sets on the minute. It worked up till set 3 on day 1 and set 5 on day 2, but for the following sets I took 3 minutes or so, my lower back just couldn't keep up.

Something that helped me a lot was taking a 15 minute or so break between squats and deadlifts in the first 2 weeks. I made the mistake during the very first workout on the program of deadlifting immediately after squatting and my lower back hated me for it. I'm also not used to deadlifting and squatting in the same session.

Week 3 was a good challenge, I felt the transition to heavier weight but it was not very exciting overall. It seems like a slow week, but looking back it is a good primer for what's to come.

By week 4 I felt my squat form getting better and I felt very recovered and well rested. That's something I loved about this program; fatigue management was perfect. I've never gone into a deadlift session like I did in week 5 with my back feeling as recovered as it did and just that eagerness and readiness to pull heavy weight. There was just enough deadlift stimulation leading up to week 5 to not overdo it but also to ready you for big pulls.

I'm about 1 week out from my first meet and will be doing some light lifting in that time, so I took a chance today to pull a 1RM deadlift to give my CNS time to recover before the meet and was very happy to hit a new PR. I also just wanted to see what these past 5 weeks have done for my deadlift.

I plan to run this program again - nothing till date has worked as well for me as Candito's 6 week program.

Great work Peanut! Good luck at your meet!

i really like Candito and his approach to training. If i werent playing other sports I would definitely do the program.

I've done this program before with great results as well. I'd recommend it to any intermediate lifter.

I am currently running this program based on this review.

Just finished first workout of week 2, it was grueling. I came back to the review and was pleased to read that you had problems getting through all the sets as well. I failed last set of 3 with 60 seconds rest, but I think I will have to do the same as you next session and increase the rest between sets. the 5 (almost) sets of 3 after a set of 10 totally fried my lower back (and quadz as well). Kudos to anyone able to actually do all the sets with the prescribed rest.

Looking forward to continuing the program although a little bit intimidated by the next lower body session.

Excellent. I've been planning to run this program after my current cycle ends. Does anyone have experience running it multiple times in a row?

The before and after deadlift only took 6 weeks?

Are you still running this program?

How much are you eating? (maintenance, sligthly surplus, big surplus?)

U said that you recovered well and that fatigue management was on point. Do you plan to add more acessories exercises ? If u don't plan do you think that it would intefere in recovery?

Before:
    Squat - 255kg/562lbs 1RM
    Deadlift - 281kg/620lbs 1RM

After:
    Squat - 271kg/599lbs (This is an estimate based off of the formula Candito provides depending on how many reps you hit in week 5. I hit all 4 reps at 97%, so 550lbs*1.09 = 599.5lbs). +16.7kg/37lbs
    Deadlift - 301kg/665lbs. +20.4kg/45lbs

Wow. Great work man, congrats. Good luck with the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Excellent. I've been planning to run this program after my current cycle ends. Does anyone have experience running it multiple times in a row?
    I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Quick update - I'm currently on my third cycle of Candito's 6 week program and am still seeing excellent results.

At the end of my last block a couple of weeks ago I hit yet another deadlift PR, got 675lbs, so a nice round 7 plates, which is a 10lbs jump from my first block.
    I also squatted 585lbs for a double by the end of it which takes my estimated 1RM to around 620lbs.

In my second cycle and even now on my third, I've been hitting all 10 reps on the MR10 days, but yes, those back off sets are still equally as taxing. Deadlift numbers are going up too; it's nice to see yourself squatting and pulling 10-20lbs higher for working sets than you were in a block you were doing just a few weeks before.

I'm hoping for a 680lbs pull at the end of this block.

As for how much I'm eating, I honestly don't track, never did. I am sure I'm eating a surplus of calories because I've gained a few pounds in the last couple of months. Protein is always on the higher end, I try and track that to some degree.

I'm not too concerned with adding more accessories, I think I've found a good balance with the main lifts in the program. Also by the end of a squat and deadlift session when you're fried, the best thing to see in your program is the word 'optional' :P

Oh and on a separate note, in my last meet that I used the first cycle for, I came 1st in my weight class

starting strength coach development program
    I should also add a couple of points that have helped me throughout this program.

1) I didn't and still don't get all week 2 squats sets on the minute. I'll get them on the minute till about the 3rd set then after that I'll take at least 2 minutes rest; my form feels much better and honestly I just cannot keep up otherwise.

2) I take a long break, around 20 minutes, between squatting and deadlifting if I feel my lower back tightening up. The deadlifts then feel much better and I can make it through all the sets/reps.

3) On the MR10 sets, I think one thing that has helped me get all 10 reps in is not rushing through them. Every 2-3 reps I take a few seconds rest before each rep, especially nearer the end. Take every rep on its own and don't think too far ahead. After around 7 reps or so I tell myself, just one more, and somehow that helps me keep pushing.