starting strength gym

Thread: GGW - failed two heavy days in a row and KSC powerlifting

Default GGW - failed two heavy days in a row and KSC powerlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I had to travel and I was working out in another gym for about 1 month, I was using a olympic bar during this period. I failed the heavy deadlift (failed las rep) in week 8 and the heavy squat in week 9 (i dropped the bar after first rep of third set). I felt very fatigued

When I came back to my usual gym I noticed that its bar is ligther compared to the gym I was temporaly working out. I think it is 10-15lbs ligther, probably 10. I did my 1RMs in this ligther bar before starting this program.

It means that I've been working harder than I should for 1 month, this may be the cause.

1) So, knowing this. Should I continue to week 10? repeat week 9? back to week 7 to dissipate some fatigue? a ligther week?

2) After finishing this program, what is the best way to transition to KSC powerlifting method? Should I test the 1 RMS in the GGW way or KSC way?

Thanks for the programs, I really appreciated both

I think the main thing you need to do is figure out what your bars weigh in your gym. Plates vary a bit, but barbells really shouldn't. Especially not 10-15 lbs. You don't need to deload to dissipate fatigue....the problem was not overtraining, the problem was you were using weights that were inaccurate by a large margin. GGW is not an overly stressful program and the risk of overtraining is almost negligible. Don't retest 1RMs. Just back up to your last completed week - figure out what weights you were actually using - and repeat that, but use the right equipment. And then progress through the rest of the program from there.

Thank you Andy.

But eventually after the end of GGw I'll need to test my 1rms or use the 5% rule. I prefer testing.

The 1 RM test is done at the ending of GGW while it is done at the beggining of KSC powerlifting.

After fininishing ggw i'd like to try ksc method for powerlifting. So which method is better for testing the 1RMs in tout opinion ?

Just do the powerlifting plan and follow those instructions. It'll be more accurate that way