starting strength gym

Thread: Programming with MMA

Default Programming with MMA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone. I have a programming question about incorporating barbell training with mixed martial arts practice. I've read up on the forums (specifically the Andy Baker posts), listened to numerous podcasts, watched youtube videos, etc and gotten some good information on this, but I'd like to get feedback on a 2x week vs a 4x per week barbell schedule for MMA athletes.

One piece of advice that came up a lot in the forums is something like.... dial back the MMA/BJJ work and focus on getting strong. The difference is that I own and operate a martial arts school. I teach numerous classes each week on top of running my business so it's not quite as simple as "just don't go to MMA class." However, I have I dialed my own martial arts practice back to 1x per week, and have stopped doing many demos in class, so that I could better focus on the program.

I'm 34 and have been working out with (mostly) kettlebells and calisthenics for my fitness training over the last 8 or so years. I was initially attracted to SS because of the focus on developing strength systematically and the simplicity of the programming, plus it would have a lot of carry over to my martial arts practice. So in November 2017, I decided to work solely with SS, while dialing back many other activities so that I could do the program.

Since November, I've been attempting the SS NLP, and I have averaged 2x week on the program. I know that 2x week is not ideal (and it's Not Doing The Program) but I haven't been getting enough rest or maybe even enough calories. Either way, I still added a little weight each time and I've made pretty good progress. It has been very difficult for me to get 3 days per week in and still be able to practice and coach martial arts. It feels like my (lack of) rest and recovery is the issue and since the workload can't decrease much more, I'm considering how to fit in barbell training in my schedule.

That being said, would it be better to stick to 2 days per week (as I have been working it - AB schedule), or a SS 4 day split (as seen on this forum - Upper/Lower/Off/Upper/Lower)?

By no means am I an Intermediate lifter, so I would still stick to the novice linear progression principles. The Ab schedule would be Squat/Press/Pull, whereas the 4 Day split would be Bench/Press, Squats/DL, Press/Bench, Squats/PC

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I would stick to two days a week:
    A
    Squat
    Press
    Power Clean

B
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

Chins optional on either or both days, subject to time available.
    until that stops working.

When that stops working, a 4 day split over a 3 day week might be a good thing to look at for you, i.e.
    Week 1
    Day 1 - Upper
    Day 2 - Lower
    Day 3 - Upper

Week 2
    Day 1 - Lower
    Day 2 - Upper
    Day 3 - Lower

Remember that you're using strength training as a means to improve your primary focus. What you'll comply with will always be better than what's optimal on paper.

Adam Skillin or any of the other SSCs may have a better suggestion than that, and you should definitely listen to what they suggest.
    Last edited by Brian Goldstein; 02-26-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Either option is okay for now. As you grow in strength and the workouts get longer and more taxing, you'll do better by training more frequently but with shorter workouts. If a client of mine has a lot of outside sport activity then I like to keep session duration down to around an hour. Get in, hit it hard, and get out. Either the 4-day upper lower split or the upper lower split rolled across a 3 day week as the previous poster laid out for you.

Just to chime in since I am in the same boat. Go with the 4 day split for sure. Get it in, get it out. Forget about long strength training sessions, 60 minutes max. Some speed work might help as well on squats and bench/press. Make sure you chin up frequently.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't even thought about the split with a 3 day week. That just might be the sweet spot I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Just FYI......I had some questions about MMA training yesterday in some of my YouTube comments, as well as your question, so I filmed a short video about this topic yesterday. It should be up in a day or two on my YouTube channel, so keep an eye out for it.

Agree with Nicky85 on this. Short sessions. I do mainly high intensity type work on the barbell lifts, a few back off sets for volume, and some speed work on days where we aren't doing that lift for max effort. Very much a westside approach and I've found it to work well in this context.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello Andy. male, 42 years old. I am on week 12 of GGW. During this time, i quit the mma training, and i did only some bjj class every 10-15 days. Now, i would like to continue my strength training, i would like also put some aesthetic size on, but i want also add bjj 1 or 2 times a week for the next few months. I am beetween your ksc powerbuilding and Strength & mass after 40 program. Could you please suggest which one will fit to my goals ?
    p.s. i did the same post in the GGW thread, sory.