starting strength gym

Thread: How have YOU been successful programming in running?

Default How have YOU been successful programming in running?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know it's been discussed a thousand times. How do you guys that program running successfully into your strength training, actually get it done? Specifically on a 3 day per week schedule?

M/36. Goals: continue getting stronger/don't get weaker/don't get hurt AND be able to run 300m sprint 50s or less, 1.5 mile run 11:00 or less, 2 miler 15:00 or less. The running is career related mostly.

Anyway, thoughts?

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysthinkin View Post
    I know it's been discussed a thousand times. How do you guys that program running successfully into your strength training, actually get it done? Specifically on a 3 day per week schedule?

M/36. Goals: continue getting stronger/don't get weaker/don't get hurt AND be able to run 300m sprint 50s or less, 1.5 mile run 11:00 or less, 2 miler 15:00 or less. The running is career related mostly.

Anyway, thoughts?

Thank you!!
    so many questions here.

1) 3 days a week for strength? 3 days a week for running? 3 days total?
    2) what are your current lifts and times, and when is the next time you are testing?
    3) don't ride two horses with one ass. In general, spend time improving running when you have to pass a career test, and then shift focus back to strength.

1) 3 total. I'm currently redoing LP for the billionth time after over 2 months zero training thanks to the worst tendonitis and tendonosis of my life in both elbows. It was so bad I was scared I was done. So, no jumping back to texas method or something equally intense. I've done 3 days, 4 days etc.

2) Current lifts? Who knows. Before crippling pain I was at SQ 435, BP 320 SP 225 DL 485 bodyweight 220ish. I need to regain and maintain forever the run times. I can and will be called to perform those runs at a time and date not of my choosing. Could be as early as a few months. Then it'll never stop. No not ever.

3) How do rugby and football players do it? That's essentially what we're all after I suppose. That all-around ability/strength.

I'd do an HLM routine. Plug your heavy lower body stuff in on Monday after a full day of rest on Sunday. You can run Tues/thurs/Sat and still squat / pull on Weds and Fri, but since it's light and medium day loading then the workouts aren't affected as much.

Thank you Andy. I was playing around with your modified 3 day texas method on paper for when I get my lifts back up to par 3 or 4 day Texas Method? Why Not Both? – Andy Baker but I think your HLM idea may make more sense for me. I'll just need to prioritize the lifting days so I don't get too bogged down time wise.

If speed is an issue on 300m, you may need to do sprint training, which is very different from how most people do sprints. A long warm up, then long recoveries in between reps (I think 3 to 5 minutes), and massive focus on form. Otherwise there's a fair bit of lactate tolerance, if you're really going for it.

The demands of 1.5 miles and 2 miles are pretty similar, mostly aerobic. They should be fairly easy to get up to then maintain.

The thing to do it probably test your 2/1.5 mile, and 300m, and figure out what needs improved.

FWIW, 55 yo ex-military (82nd) who ran a 10:15 2 mile PT test at my peak and fully understand the need to hit/exceed the mandated times. I cut my mileage from 20-40 miles a week prior to SS and then Andy's intermediate programs to 6-9 miles per week (3 miles run fast 2-3 times per week). My experience is that running doesn't affect my lifting as long as I don't stretch it beyond 30 minutes a session. I experimented with the other cardio modalities but found it was more about the 30 minutes per session than the modality for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks all.

So far, 300m is only a few seconds off. 1.5/2milers are a couple minutes (probably because I stopped running almost entirely for far too long).

I'm finding recovery difficult already, so I'm going to take it slow and build up up to 3 x per week as Andy suggested, probably 30 minutes or less like Airborne stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysthinkin View Post
    Thanks all.

So far, 300m is only a few seconds off. 1.5/2milers are a couple minutes (probably because I stopped running almost entirely for far too long).

I'm finding recovery difficult already, so I'm going to take it slow and build up up to 3 x per week as Andy suggested, probably 30 minutes or less like Airborne stated.
    Always- curious how running implementation turned out - I started a log in the SS Log forum implementing running and it has been a lot of modifying thus far.

starting strength coach development program
    Ski,

Believe it or not I'm still running out my billionth LP (took two weeks for vacation) as of today. I'll be starting new programming next week where I can start to implement running. I'm going to check out your log to see how you've been doing it.

I've been going back and forth on doing some sort of HLM variant or Andy's Texas Method (3 or 4 day Texas Method? Why Not Both? - Andy Baker) variant even though I know he's not really advocating it. My reason is that a max 3 days per week training schedule is tough for me to recover from as it is and that programming is super appealing because it essentially alternates squatting once per week and twice per week. I have found that twice per week plus two pressing days is rough for me to recover from, as is 3x week squatting. SO, it is my hope I can take advantage of the weeks where I squat just once and have two days of running in there as well. Perhaps build some volume on one running day and do some speed/track work on the other. Like everything, I'll be taking it slow since at 37 I'm not bouncing back from injury setbacks like I want to.