starting strength gym

Thread: 4day Texas method program

Default 4day Texas method program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys,

I've just finished with SSNLP, and looking to run the 4 day Texas method in Practical Programming with slight alterations. I work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern and can only really get training done on days off and the last day of work, meaning there is an 8 day cycle (instead of 7) between volume workouts for each lift.

Monday: Press (1x5) Intensity
    Bench (5x5) Volume
    Tricep extensions (3x10)

Tuesday: Squat (5x5) Volume
    Powerclean (3x5)
    Back extensions (3x10)

Thursday: Bench (1x5) Intensity
    Press (5x5) Volume
    Dips (3x8)

Friday: Squat (1x5) Intensity
    Deadlift (1x5) Intensity
    Chins (3 x AMRAP) or Rows (3x8)

I feel like there isn't enough squat/deadlift volume considering I will be taking a 3 day rest period instead of 2. Would it be advisable to add 2 back off sets at around 90% after intensity squat and deadlift? Any other improvements I can make to this plan?

Thanks very much!

You might do better to pair the DL Intensity Day w/ Squat Volume and Squat Intensity w/ DL Volume, using the Deadlift instead of the PC. If you want to PC, single up to your Deadlift warm ups on your DL intensity Day.

Thanks Andy, I did recently purchase your GGW program, but decided against running it, as I like the concept of setting PR's each week while i'm still relatively young. I'll be saving that one for later years. Is your KSC Texas method a 4 day split, with a similar layout to the above? Any information you can give me about this program is greatly appreciated.

It's a 3 or 4 day Texas Method. Principles are described at length in PPST3. That specific program was created with some modifications I made that were not included in PPST3, primarily the concept of volume cycling. The program you laid out above is fine, with the adjustments I recommended. Why don't you just run it for a while, train your ass off, and see what happens, and tweak the details as you go. Just commit to one thing and give it time to either fail or succeed. That's the only way to truly learn what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the advice Andy...I will certainly give it a good run out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    You might do better to pair the DL Intensity Day w/ Squat Volume and Squat Intensity w/ DL Volume, using the Deadlift instead of the PC. If you want to PC, single up to your Deadlift warm ups on your DL intensity Day.
    Coach, when using PC in this way, would you recommend PC singles until a "miss," like oly training, or is there a set number of singles across--or ramped-- (with increasing load each session) that a trainee ought to stick to to ensure linear-like progression weekly? 5 singles, 10 singles, etc to get the right volume before the intensity DL, but without burning out anything significantly before the all important DL effort?