starting strength gym

Thread: 4 day version of LP?

Default 4 day version of LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello again Mr. Carter. I have seen a few threads on doing LP on a 4 day split. But I don’t like it because pressing right after benching seems like it would sacrafice your press gains. Andy Baker suggested bench heavy press light one day, and press heavy bench light the other day, but then you wouldn’t really be taking advantage of novice gains by only going up in weight 1 a week. So would something like this work:
    Week A:
    Monday: Squat, Bench
    Tuesday: Press, PClean
    Thrusday: Deadlift, Bench
    Friday: Squat, Power Clean
    Week B:
    Monday: Squat, Press
    Tuesday: Deadlift, Bench
    Thursday: Squat, Power Clean
    Friday: Deadlift, Press

Alternate week A and B. So as you can see it’s the same lifting frequency as standard LP(alternate press and bench, alternate deadlift and power clean). The squatting goes to twice instead of 3 times a week, but I’m already going up only twice a week on squats because I’m doing the light day squats on Wednesday. So the only difference is that the workouts will be shorter(which is good). The only thing I’m worried about is that it is full body 4 times a week, not the usual 4 day upper/lower. Any advice will be appreciated!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

My advice would be to stick to the standard Novice LP if you can. It works....

Your press on Tuesday will be affected by your bench on Monday. Your SQ on Friday will be affected by your DL on Thursday. This is likely why Baker had you do an upper/ lower split. If you MUST do a 4 day program that is the way I would go. But really CAN you do the novice LP as written?

Ok I’ll still to the standard. Thanks!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

cool