starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting SS Programming if not a novice?

Default Starting SS Programming if not a novice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good evening all,

My name is Sebastian. Im a powerlifter wannabe from Poland. I train for a couple of years and have been familiar with SS idea of training but never had run in properly in my entire lifting "career".

I know it is not the best choice for powerlifting but I would like to give it a shot and do it properly because of below reasons:

- I do not consider myself really strong for my bodyweight
    - I have really bad habit of doing a shit ton of accesory movements and program hopping
    - I bought my own lifting equipment and therefore have limited acces to various implements ( only barbell and a shit load of kettlebells )
    - I like the idea and philosophy behind SS programming
    - Chase Lindley is a beast and he trains SS

My best lifts are (made at bodyweight of 102,5kg 225lbs) :
    - 185kg 407lbs squat
    - 132,5kg 292lbs bench press
    - 85kg 187lbs press
    - 220kg 485lbs deadlift

Im 28 years old.
    My current bodyweight is 230lbs at 180cm 5,8ft height. Around maybe 15-17% bodyfat ( pure guessing )

My Goal is to get as strong as possible while maintaining the bodyweight around 230-240 lbs because I want to compete in 105kg weight class at the end of this year. The next jump is to 125kg ( yea, wonderfull IPF weight classes) which I consider myself to small framed for.

The MAIN issue for me is...How to even start if im not a a pure novice?

https://www.facebook.com/sebastian.f...user_video_tab

Here is some recap from my recent PL debut in December 2017.

This has actually been discussed quite a bit. There's a pretty consistent recommendation to start pretty much all people on an initial NLP and run it for however long it lasts (maybe only a week or two). Once it starts stalling, then programming changes to whatever works best for the trainees schedule, goals, etc.

If you are talking about the Starting Strength Linear Progression (SSLP), which is a precisely defined program, then I don't see why you would run it if you've been training powerlifting for several years. The SSLP is a program for novices, meant to be run for 3 months or so. Novices are defined as folks that can both get the necessary stress to drive a strength adaptation AND recover from it within 48-72 hours. So, unless you can add 5lb to your lifts 3x a week, the SSLP is not for you. I know some folks like to run it no matter what, but I honestly don't see why if a lifter is not a novice.

If you are interested in Starting Strength material in general, i.e. not just the SSLP, but the model of the lifts, the SRA cycle and how it applies to programming, exercise selection, etc., then the best thing to do would be to read the Starting Strength and Practical Programming books.

In terms of specific programming decisions, no one can really answer that for you without knowing exactly what you've been doing lately and what the results have been. Reading Practical Programming will give you the background necessary to make better programming decisions going forward. The book also has various programs outlined, though there's been a lot of debate lately as to whether the specific program recommendations are optimal. Best thing to do is learn the material and then decide on your own what makes sense to you.

As mentioned the best way to start is to read the texts and get familiar with how the body adapts to stress. If I had to guess based on your description of your training, length of time training for powerlifting, and how fast your squat and deadlift 3rd attempts moved - I would say you would benefit from a brief Novice progression before moving to intermediate

Thanks for replies. I actually have both of books and i'm on process od re-reading practical programming for second time. I have not seen there any advice how to jump on to the program if not a novice, but maybe the recovery ability is the key! I will start with advanced novice template and then move on I guess.

Start with an LP. The worst that happens is that in 2 weeks you move on to a different template. The best of that you improve your base performance over the course of a month or so.

I really recommend a more fitting training program for you as a year-long trainee than a beginner program like SSLP (with all due enthusiasm it deserves for exactly the population it was written for).

Choose a good intermediate program according to your time ressources and goals. Tommy Narvaez (well known to long-time users here) has an excellent overview of strength/powerlifting oriented programs out there. And also explains very well there why SSLP is great for beginners, but not adequate for intermediate powerlifters "wannabes": Powerlifting Programs | PowerliftingToWin

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    I really recommend a more fitting training program for you as a year-long trainee than a beginner program like SSLP (with all due enthusiasm it deserves for exactly the population it was written for).

Choose a good intermediate program according to your time ressources and goals. Tommy Narvaez (well known to long-time users here) has an excellent overview of strength/powerlifting oriented programs out there. And also explains very well there why SSLP is great for beginners, but not adequate for intermediate powerlifters "wannabes": Powerlifting Programs | PowerliftingToWin
    I would disagree. Remember the term "Novice" isn't defined how long you've been lifting and experience. It is defined by your recovery time. If you can squat 3x5 on Monday and by Wednesday you are recovered and ready for 5 lbs more then you are a Novice. Remember you WANT to be a Novice, being a Novice means you can gain strength more rapidly than an Intermediate or Advanced lifter. Do LP until you stall and THEN apply an intermediate program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladymir_Putin View Post
    Thanks for replies. I actually have both of books and i'm on process od re-reading practical programming for second time. I have not seen there any advice how to jump on to the program if not a novice, but maybe the recovery ability is the key! I will start with advanced novice template and then move on I guess.
    Follow the teaching progression in the books for determining your first working weight. Don't go straight to advanced novice right away. You may get there sooner, but will limit yourself early.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast