starting strength gym

Thread: Programming with Limited Protein Intake

Default Programming with Limited Protein Intake

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    [I posted a similar query in the elderly forum but was told I was more likely to get an answer here]

I'm a 46yo male (6', 175lbs, ~18%BF) beginner with chronic kidney disease (kidney function ~40%) and have a question on programming modification to the 3 days/week LP in my situation.

I've been on a 70g p/d protein diet for the last 10 years. The combination of diet and medications (am on max dose ARBs) has stabilized my kidney function so will to stick to current intake. I'm also slightly anemic (again kidney related). I don't have an overall caloric intake restriction.

I assume limited protein intake makes my Stress-Recovery-Adaption cycle similar to the one of individuals 10-20y older than me (46).

So I was wondering if any of the programs suggested in Barbell Rx for older athletes such as modified middle squat; reduced frequency programs or 4 day across plans would work better (or least worst!) on limited protein.

IANDTP - have been doing some strength and fitness 'exercising' for a few years with usual downsides ( too many ancillary exercises, finding 1RM as beginner, 'muscle confusion')
    Even if my current workouts are not as intense as 3 full body lifts per session, I already struggle with recovery.

I finally discovered the SS approach and have been through the SS and Barbell Rx books. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

my 5RM are as follows (not done on strict LP)
    Sq 175 (high bar - did my first low bar at 130 this week )
    Dl 210
    Press 95 (struggling)
    Bench 130
    6 strict chins

Try the Nutrition forum with Santana or some of the lads over at the Barbell Medicine forums, they love this kind of stuff and I'd be curious to see what they say.

For me I really think you should just run a standard LP, once you get to Intermediate maybe you'd have to make some kind of concessions if 70g p/d is genuinely your max but I'd cross that bridge only IF it became a problem.
    Plenty of people lift on less than 70g.

Thanks
    I’ve started on rank novice and I’ll try the nutrition forum once I get stuck