starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift programming when squat is weak

Default Deadlift programming when squat is weak

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, Brent.
    I'm stumbling my way through LP and my deadlift is coming to a halt. I am having trouble keeping my low back in extension, with moderate rounding which gets worse throughout the set. I can feel it during the rep and my own video confirms. I concentrate on setting my back and squeezing off the floor, but it seems I can't keep up with 5 pound increases every other workout. If I drop a little weight off the bar my form is OK.

I think a big problem is that my squat is not helping my deadlift much since it's currently lagging. I am working the squat up after an injury. Current stats:

M34, 5'8, bw 190 (up from 160)
    Last work sets:
    Squat 3x5x205
    Deadlift 1x5x360
    Bench 3x5x220
    Press 3x5x160

Alternating A/B workouts aiming for three workouts per week, but life often makes it two...
    A: squat/press/deadlift
    B: squat/bench/chins
    5 lb increments on squat and dl, 2 lb on bench and press.

It will still take some time for my squat to even get close to my deadlift. Do you think it's a good idea to incorporate more pulling volume at this time? I was thinking of for example volume 3x5 on mondays, and then heavy 1x5 on fridays. Are SGDL an option for 3x5s?

Thanks!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I agree with your assessment that more pulling will be needed. I would probably have you do a barbell row as the deadlift alternate and really focus on keeping the low back in extension. Stiff leg deadlift would also be an option. Volume then heavy for pulling as you indicated would probably work or you might just try alternating every workout between heavy DL and volume accessory DL.

Thank you, Brent. I'll try barbell rows and see if that gets me back on track. Alternating is the simplest, especially when life happens. Any thoughts on set/rep scheme for the rows? 3x5? My slight experience indicated that higher reps tended to compromise my form.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

3x5 is fine. Form will get a little sloppy the heavier it gets. Just make sure the bar touches your torso with every rep.