starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming barbell row in 3-day Texas Method

Default Programming barbell row in 3-day Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started TM 6 weeks ago and added the Rip-style barbell row for 5s on light day. But as they have gotten heavier they have completely fried my lower back and destroyed deadlifts and squats on intensity day. The obvious solution I guess is to just quit them for the time being, but I think they are fun to do and it adds some variation while also hopefully being long-term good in building the back.

Do you have any suggestions for programming the row? Last on intensity day, after deadlifts, seems too rough and last on volume day makes that a 3h workout.

If you have them available, I highly recommend Dumbbell Rows.

I do and I'm certainly open to doing those instead. Maybe it would take moving to a 4 day-split to be able to fit barbell rows anywhere properly? I'd rather try dumbbells than being forced to do that at this point. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gilmour View Post
    I do and I'm certainly open to doing those instead. Maybe it would take moving to a 4 day-split to be able to fit barbell rows anywhere properly? I'd rather try dumbbells than being forced to do that at this point. Thanks for the help.
    How do you do dumbell rows?

I don't do them, but I might start as per Meshuggah's recommendation. If your question is rhetorical in any way, I'm afraid that I'm missing the point.

I've been running a TM template for about 6 weeks using rows on the light day. However, I'm doing them strict from the floor, so lighter weight used. I've been running volume day SLDL 3x5 Light day rows 3x5 Intensity DL 1x5 then one more 1x5 - 10%. This pull program has given me 3 straight weeks of easy 5 rep PRs on a lift that hasn't been moving very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    How do you do dumbell rows?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    I've been running a TM template for about 6 weeks using rows on the light day. However, I'm doing them strict from the floor, so lighter weight used. I've been running volume day SLDL 3x5 Light day rows 3x5 Intensity DL 1x5 then one more 1x5 - 10%. This pull program has given me 3 straight weeks of easy 5 rep PRs on a lift that hasn't been moving very well.
    I have the same setup, but I wasn't even able to move the top set weight for DLs last time due to lower back fatigue. Have hit 100 kg for 5s on the rows. Last week I could barely walk the day after rowing. Maybe it's down to unfamiliarity with the lift, but I did start them at unchallenging weights and then titrated it up over the weeks and I don't even like 100 kg are close to max lifts either.

What about rep ranges on dumbbell rows, Meshuggah? 5s or higher reps?

Quote Originally Posted by gilmour View Post
    What about rep ranges on dumbbell rows, Meshuggah? 5s or higher reps?
    I like 5 to 10 reps per set. You can cycle them just like any other lift.

starting strength coach development program
    If Barbell Rows are hurting your low back that much, you aren't doing them right. They can create some soreness in the erectors and mid-back, but should not be debilitating. My guess is your weight distribution is way to far forward. You need to "sit back" into your hamstrings a little more and get yourself balanced out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast