starting strength gym

Thread: Novice lifts and progression while cutting

Default Novice lifts and progression while cutting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 230 lbs, 5,8" male and am roughly 3 months into squatting, deadlifting, pressing and benching. My progress has been very limited due to the fact that I'm fairly heavily overweight and am eating at a deficit to lose fat before trying to bulk. Here are my lifts currently, all for 5x3:

Deadlift - 200 lbs
    Squat - 185 lbs
    Press - 95 lbs
    Bench - 135 lbs

All of these are feeling very heavy at the moment and I'm stalling often if I try to go any higher, should I just be staying at the same weight I know i can perform for 5 reps until ive lost the weight and can eat more?

Also, should I be staying right at the beginning of the novice program and not including power cleans and such for now as I have been so far, or should I start including them even if I can't progress much? I'm not sure I can do pullups at all, I'm too heavy to lift myself even once right now.

Thank you in advance.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Pull ups are easily modified to doing lat pull downs.

Those numbers are obviously pretty low. I wonder how much of a deficit you are on and if Robert Santan might be better able to assist you since this seems more of a nutrition related issue.