starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add a light workout or add rest day?

Default Add a light workout or add rest day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im 51. I have had some on agaiin off again NLP the lst year. I work a 40-50 hr week job (4or5 Days)and them spend 2-3 days farming in another part of the state. Farm days are sunrise to sunset. When i come home from the farm, im usually wrecked. I dont always get enough food in me and have been focusing on nutrition. And my weight has slowly started to increase
    Currently squat is 275- reset from 290 because i wasnt deep enough.
    Deadlift is 345. Press is 135 and bench is 175- my shoulder is giving me problems ao i dont worry about the bench.

The issue is i feel too tired to take on a heavy (for me ) squat and deadlift workout when i get back. But if I add a day for recovery i will detrain and only get 1 day in befor heading back to the farm.

Im considering doing a light day on my first day back just to get some work in. Like 245 squat and maybe 305 deadlift. Will this likely help or would this drive me deeper into exhaustion?

After the age of 50 rest becomes huge. I started this year by cutting things way back and I feel much stronger and more rested.

Goddam I'm not looking forward to getting old.

Have you read this masterpiece?

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

You'll probably just be told to eat more and sleep more. I would earnestly just continue LP as per the described schedule regardless of how you feel. Once that tapers out you might be better informed to make an intermediate programming choice, you will likely also have adapted somewhat to the workload by that time. Farm work and barbell lifting are different.

The odd light day never hurt anyone though.

5minutes rest at least, on squats. 5 lb increases. Sleep is ok. Food is plentiful usually. Sometimes on weekends i dont take a break soon enough so i will only get 2 meals. During the rest of the week i eat a lot. Protein rich foods and lots of it. Saturday was dawn till dusk. Sunday was 9 am till midnight. I managed to stuff in plenty of food but going strong all day, both days wore me down. I guess i will play it by ear for training tonight.

Buy Andy Baker's Barbell Prescription, strength training after 40 and read it several times.

I'm not a coach, but if I were you, while I read the book, I would just keep things simple and drop your Wednesday squat, or keep squatting every workout and if you can schedule it, lift every third day.

Also, Im not sure what programming you are suing, but I'd bet there is a "strong" chance that you are an intermediate, given your age and the weight you're putting up.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Saturday was dawn till dusk. Sunday was 9 am till midnight.
    Damn dude.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Also, Im not sure what programming you are suing, but I'd bet there is a "strong" chance that you are an intermediate, given your age and the weight you're putting up.
    I have just been doing LP but with a 2 day per week schedule. It has been working well.
    As far as the work schedule at the farm, this has been a forest to fields operation for 2 years now. I have 500 apple trees that we planted and I am building a house up there. I am the builder so i am always doing something in the house or the land and trying to squeeze each day for as much as i can get.
    The more we do it, the more we love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I have just been doing LP but with a 2 day per week schedule. It has been working well.
    As far as the work schedule at the farm, this has been a forest to fields operation for 2 years now. I have 500 apple trees that we planted and I am building a house up there. I am the builder so i am always doing something in the house or the land and trying to squeeze each day for as much as i can get.
    The more we do it, the more we love it.
    Thanks for making me feel like a lazy slob .

I didn't realize you were doing a 2-day/week.

starting strength coach development program
    Pizza Dad,

Your lifts are good, and given your work schedule (irrespective of age, but also considering it), I'd reckon you are well and truly ready to step off LP into a two day H/L routine with a light SQ on DL day and a lighter DL variation on Heavy SQ day.
    If you don't have The Barbell Prescription get it.
    Have a look at this video for starters.
    Just take the principles and apply it to a two day template like (just an example):

Workout 1
    SQ 4x5 (heavy)
    BP 4x5
    BBR 4x6-8 (or Chins, or RDL or SLDL etc)

Workout 2
    SQ 3x5 (at 90-95% of your heavy day)
    PR 3-4x5
    DL/RP 1-3RM +1x5 (85% or 1RM)

Something like that with the light squat could work wonders for your fatigue. You could also just do BBR or Chins on the first day and rotate DL and RDL on the second day to reduce some stress and fatigue.
    But, mate, that book is what you really need to read. FULL of templates to address your situation there.

Good luck,
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast