starting strength gym

Thread: 42-yo male, went from 3x5 on squats to suddenly 2/1/1. Nearing end of LP?

Default 42-yo male, went from 3x5 on squats to suddenly 2/1/1. Nearing end of LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Brent,

Good afternoon and thanks for your help. I believe that I'm nearing the end of my LP, but my main question is why I am suddenly missing a lot of reps on my squat. I have steadily added 5 lbs per workout with no missed lifts until Friday, when I went 2/1/1 at 325. I figured resting over the weekend would help, but again this morning I went 2/1/2 at the same weight.

- 42 y/o male, 5'9", 213, ~20% BF. I am trying to eat 15% over TDEE on M/W/F (training days), 15% below TDEE Tu/Th/Sa/Su as I am a Marine Reservist and can't afford to pack on too much BF. I am 27 lbs over my max weight, which I don't care about, but need to keep BF <=20% (by neck/waist measurement) in order to remain in standards.
    - Just started week 12 of novice LP
    - Lift alone in my garage at about 5 AM on a banana and coffee

Squat - started at 165, last 3x5 at 320. Last Friday went 2/1/1 at 325, went 2/1/2 at 325 this morning
    Bench - started at 115, now 3x5 at 255, bar speed starting to come down but still strong
    Deadlift - started (too conservatively) at 185, now 1x5 @ 325 and feeling great about it
    Press - started at 105, last 3x5 was at 165. Stalled a bit before, got 3x5 at 165, went 5/4/2 at 170 this morning
    Barbell row - started at 135, now 3x5 @ 220

When I look at the Three Questions, the first thing I see is that yes, I could be eating more, but I have to think of BF. I'm doing better on my sleep - about 7-8 hrs/night. I am resting 3 minutes between sets when I get my 5 reps, but resting 5-7 minutes if I miss reps. I have added 5 lbs per workout on every exercise except deadlift (10lbs, then 5lbs, generally). No unusual life stresses. I have 0.5lb fractional plates.

- Should I eat more, deload 20% or so, and reattack?
    - Should I consider making Wednesday a light day as shown in PP for the "well-executed novice linear progression?" I am VERY close to the example shown. Looks like he started light Wednesdays in week 8.

Thank you for any advice you have!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Don't get too wrapped up in matching the numbers from PP. It's just an example.

If you have not tried a reset I would go with that. Take 20% off or so and give yourself about a week and a half to build back up to 325. Start taking a light day midweek after the first week of deload and continue taking a lighter day midweek through end of novice LP.

It just so happened that our numbers were so close. Totally unintentional!

Thank you for the help. I'm looking forward to deloading a bit & getting some solid 3x5s.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Let us know how it goes!

Yesterday morning I did 3x5 @ 260 with no issues. Thought it was funny to bench 3x5 @ 260 right afterwards... maybe that says something about my relative strengths & weaknesses!

Yesterday was the first day I replaced barbell rows with weighted chins - 3x8 @ 45. Felt good to do those again. Will keep deadlift on Workout A, and alternate rows & weighted chins on Workout B.

Current goal is to join the "1000 Pound Club" at the base gym, just because.