starting strength gym

Thread: Variable Rep Ranges for Progressive Overloading?

Default Variable Rep Ranges for Progressive Overloading?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Instead of linear progression of weight, why not use variable rep ranges?

For example I squatted 200lbs 3x5 last session... next session I go for 200lbs 3x6... 3x7...when I can get to 3x8 @ 200lbs, I'll increase to 205lbs for 3x5... then 3x6... 3x7.... etc keep increasing weight but not before increasing reps...

My #1 concern is safety. Adding weight every session to a 3x5 rep scheme feels unsafe sometimes. Especially days I'm a little tired. It's getting too heavy. I don't care if it takes me an extra few months to reach baseline strength levels. I'm not a pro athlete I'm just a normal dude and not in any overwhelming rush to squat 500lbs. #1 priority is to reduce risk of injury while increasing strength gradually.

My stats in lbs if it matters:
    32 y/o male 5'11, ~2.5 months into linear progression
    w/ a 30% reset after 6 weeks due to travel, flu, & a minor lower back injury
    Bodyweight 210-->224
    SQ 105-->205
    DL 115-->225
    BP 75--> 137
    OHP 55-->100

microloading BP & OHP
    just started learning to clean

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

We are here to increase strength which is a function of how much force you can produce which is a function of how much weight is on the bar.

Would your protocol work? Probably. For a while at least. You are afterall a novice so a great many things will still work. But your desire to "reduce risk" is misplaced. First of all weight training is one of the safest athletic endeavors you could pursue (Hamil, et al). At the weights you and I and non genetic freak types are handling increased risk is more a function of movement quality than it is absolute load on the bar. In other words you can royally fuck your back with 135 if you bend over and twist the the damn thing just as easily (and probably more so) as you can pulling 550 (if you are even capable of doing so).

Basically as it has been said many times: "Just do the program". Trust us it works.

Think about it. If you are only adding five pounds to the bar how much risk is there? Rarely does anyone injury themselves squatting 315 when they squatted 310 a couple days before. Most injuries occur due to incorrect form or getting extremely aggressive with weight.

The other point I would like to add is that injuries usually occur when form breaks down and that usually happens at high reps not high intensity.