starting strength gym

Thread: increase by 5kg ea. workout, reps vary

Default increase by 5kg ea. workout, reps vary

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    so I was wondering how the adaptation process works: if I can do 5 reps @ 100kg on the squat, and the next workout increase to 110kg @ say 3 reps, would I eventually hit 5 reps @ 110kg? the question is, can I make bigger jumps (more than 5lbs) per workout and work up to the 5 rep work sets? rather than micro plate-ing my way up?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Maybe. The reason why we like micro loading is it is less of a gamble. The closer to your 1rm you get the more of a difference there is from rep to rep. This is why watching Kirk Karwoski squat 1000x2 is such a crazy feat. If we take your near 3RM and have you do it for a triple could you do it next week for four? I don't know. But we could probably have you do it at +5lbs for another triple.

Hard to say, but 10kg jumps definitely aren't sustainable in anything more than the shortest of terms. If you're an absolute beginner, you may be able to pull it off for a short while. But if you're going to stall quickly anyway, why not spend more time at lower weights and spare your body the strain of trying to progress too quickly?